Corn on Cob

Moderator: Mods

DEEDEE

Corn on Cob

Post by DEEDEE »

Right been shopping at Sainsburys Supermarket and bought a Corn on the Cob for the Birds, question is do I hang it in the cage raw or do I have to cook it, Please advise me LOL DEEDEE
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

i tend to get a metal kebab skewer and spike that thru the corn cob and hang it whole in there. when it comes to veggies, unless its roasted they love it raw, or else a long twist tie and suspend that from a bar in the cage
hope that helps some :)
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

I've found a solution to the raw vegies haning. I have taken a couple of the long metal skewers, threaded the vegies - corn, carrot and also melon - on to the skewer, then put it over the end of one of the sticks in the cage and then the sharp end outside the wire with a clothes peg on it - works really well, and they take a lot longer to eat the vegies.
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My babies like it raw.
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

yea, and the crunchier the better, ive noticed, as my snow peas start getting limp, thats when they get tossed into the bottom of the cage lol.
(the metal kebab skewers i use are just a 5pk of diff sized ones from coles. we slide diff things onto it, corn, carrot, grapes, apple, orange, whatever the rotation is up to, and the bottoms have been cut down so theyre not so sharp anymore, then bent up, usually dug back into the core of the corn or kept away from the food) weve never had any probs, and makes it easier to hang in the centre of the cage, for both of them to get to.
the peg idea is great, but theyd work out how to get to it somehow lol they chew all the wooden pegs so i brought craft ones for em to destroy (along with the 1000pk of paddlepop sticks haha)
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

they make veggie skewers for small animals (hamsters, etc) that have a plastic piece you screw on the end to avoid the sharp part. Probably make them for birds too, but I am sorta amused at the odd designs that are supposed to amuse the rodents (or their owners).

Editorial comment--just reread this and it sounds like I am suggesting pet shish-kabobs, but I am sure you know me better than that!
MCS
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

put it in yesterday looked this afternoon and have took about 4/5 rows off panicked for nothing
Topaz

Post by Topaz »

Here's how I hang my skewers:

So far - so good, noone has yet worked out how to get them off the branches.
Anne
controlled by:
2 Poodles, 1 Maltese, 1 tiel, 3 INR's
Oh & a hubby
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

All excellent suggestions. Thanks guys.

We all work so hard to make sure everyone's bird has it made. When you really sit back and watch... a lot of work goes into the data and research we are building here.

A lot of hard work by all of you. And it is very appreciated. Maybe one day we can download all of this, make sense into it and

FINALLY write a ringneck book.
~ Mikaela Sky