Seed VS Pellets?

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Seed VS Pellets?

Post by Lauren »

Me again :D I need any opinions on seed vs pellets? My IRNs have fruit and vegies in their diets but could I also give them birdy vitamin suppliments? Ive never seen pellets in the shops down here and I've heard they are quite expensive as I'm only a student at the moment. Everyone seems to be on pellets? :(

Thanx
Lauren, Gilbert and Lil Yoda.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

hey, ive had my girl (maybe lol) for a few months now.
she has seed in 1 dish throughout the day, 1 bowl for fruit, and a metal kebab skewer, bent up at the end to hold the food on it (grapes, corn, whole beans/peas in pod, mix em up a bit) we also give her whole peanuts in the shells (not sure how much shes eating, or really just destroying). :lol:

i havent seen any pellets around here either (im in qld) but i did see in kmart a pack of 'bird munchies' brand 'gourmet parrot blend' for around $3 in Big W and Woolies.

Its got heaps of stuff in it, fruit, nuts, seeds and also.. there are some pellets in there, i thought id try it, to see if baby would even eat them.

But for the other day i came across a freaking maggot in it, :shock: i was unimpressed, not sure whether it was already there, or happened since i put it into a container, anwayz, i rang the company, the said it would be ok if she had eaten any, wouldnt harm her or anything, but i still threw them out(this may be coz id kept the containers on top of my stove, and mebbe from the heat of the oven being used). Now i just gotta ring em back (which reminds me lol) and they said theyre gonna send me out a bunch of samples for baby to try :) so, least shell have something in place of that seed. I may yet go back and get more, im pretty much outta seed for her atm, ill see how things pan out, but thought id try give u a cheap option, with at least part of the requirements
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx Ambros :D Ive had my baby Yoda for 2 whole days now :D he/she had some carrot, brocolli, and oats.. I tried feeding my baby Yoda some seeds today.. has just started eating them. Just today Yoda started digging in the seed tray like a dog and flicking seed all over the floor by sitting in the tray and kicking one leg like crazy! I really need my vaccuum fixed! :roll: My 6 year old IRN Gilbert was running around picking them up! :shock:
Gilbert is sick of carrots and celery but absolutely loves apple, brocolli, beans, peas and corn and sometimes will only eat MY apple! :roll: (no apple seeds tho).
I usually buy my seed from a pet barn in bulk, but everynow and then I get 'treats' from Safeway (Woolies up your way :) ) and Gilbert rips it apart in a day most is discarded on floor but he gets excited when he sees the shopping bag with a treat in it FOOD!. I still have never seen any pellets. I'm getting some parrot vitamins to add to their water but I'd like to know whats in pellets?

Thanx
Lauren, Gilbert and Lil Yoda
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

glad to hear things are progressing :D
o0o another thing my girl loves is mashed stuff, when i do my potato/pumpkin im normally lazy and do both together lol then mash em with a bit of cheese through it, and she goes nuts, mishy stuff that goes everywhere lol. she also gets a couple of hot chippies when we eat (shes starting to get a bit of everything, experimenting more)
saladas or dry biccies, with either vegemite, peanut butter or no added sugar jam are an occasional treat for her too. cant convince her to eat the beetroot though no matter how much she sees us eat it lol
she seems to be loving chicken too even if i feel like im making her eat her own kind in some disturbed way :shock:

heres a question too : does ur birds shell EVERYTHING possible lol
peas, corn, the hard peanut shell, then the reddish casing, she even turned the pellets in the mix around and around in her beak till it was all gone, then kinda looked at us, like uhh wth was that??? :shock: :roll:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Seed Vs Pellets isnt really an option... a decision. Its a must..

Seeds do not contain the proper nutrients needed to maintain good health, not even when fresh foods are given ( as they always should be daily ).

Only pellets as a stable do, along with fresh foods. This isnt a decision. The only decision is when to make the transition.

When?

If a cockatiel can eat it, a baby ringneck can so time to convert. The sooner, the healthier, the prettier. Diet shows big time and in no time.

I recommend Zupreem:

I know too many that have paid 30 bucks a bag for Harrisons to have their bird turn their nose up at it. Not to Zupreem... al breeds seem to love it.

These flavors: (Garden Harvest, Wild n Spicy especially)

This is the EXACT bag to look for. Any petco has it. My cockatiel too eats it just fine. As does my Quaker.

It has the same levels of nutrients as the bag for larger breeds, just smaller pellets. :wink:

http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_prod ... 25+92.aspx
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ok time to throw in my 2 cents.

My bird get a mixture of seeds and pellets. Remember that birds have a 'mental' need to crack seeds. I have seen feather pluckers stop plucking once they go onto a see diet. Now...also just a 'seed diet' is not an answer. My girls here are on a 75% pellet 25% seed mix during the day when I am not home. In the mornings they get the fruit and veggies, at night they get the bean/rice/whatever I feel like throwing into it mix.

So whatever you decided please please PLEASE feed fresh fruits and veggies as a huge part of their diet...there is no such thing as a pellet tree in the wild...;)

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

As a treat or addition, absolutely allow seeds. I might pick up some too... just never thought about it after conversion.

They do have that need though. Thank you Dani.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

We have the best of intentions meant for our little friends here but they have needs that sometimes we don't think about.

I took in a bad and I mean BAD feather plucker little yellow collared macaw. Poor thing thing looked terrible! The owners finally decided they weren't doing something right and gave him to me to 'fix'. I ran over his diet with the owners...and of course he was only on a pelleted diet. It may have been a Harrisons/Zupreem mix but the bird still plucked. He was loved and had everything that little macaw could want.

I cut the pellets in half and gave him seeds...once he had something to do with his beak he left those feathers alone. Any parrot in the wild is on a fruit, green and SEED diet...it is the most natural form of food you can replicate in your home. As I said before there is no such thing as a pellet tree...

Read the back of your pellet bag...and look up any ingredients you don't know. What you will find is scary!

Oh and NEVER EVER feed your parrot a mix called 'Pretty Bird' This is junk...pure trash and has killed so many birds :(

Dani
Last edited by Dani03 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

and on another topic.... I actually just sweep continually, rather than pulling out the vacuum. My floors are wooden, so this works well for me (except that Magellan still thinks the broom is Satan and screeches at it, was hoping she would get over it). My flock manages to throw everything!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx chickies, I sometimes think Gilbert 'plays' with his seed. He likes to pick out the corn and chuck them on the floor to watch them bounce. :roll: He does shell everything! even apple!
My babies do eat alot of fruit, vegies, pasta and the occasional chicken. Gilbert has taken a liking to chips and im trying to stop him. My partner calls him 'Scabbo the magical bird! Only appears when there is FOOD.' hehe. (men!)
If I do find some pellets I will throw them in with theyre seed and see how if goes. Ive heard of Zupreem. I might ask around the pet stores. :D
I wish I could see into their minds! Sometimes Birds can pluck and the solution is right in front of us! :(
Oh and I have to get a broom hehe. I vacuum because the cages are on tiles but close to carpet and those seeds are a pain to sweep on the carpet. :x But my vacuum in broken! :( so I'm on my hands and knees with a little brush at the moment.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby would give me away for a drive through Mikie D's for a 6 piece nugget with honey sauce. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Gilbert starts pacing up and down his cage for making lil 'hmm..hmm' sounds if he sees a hot chip. I give in too easy and cool one down for him. Me bad :cry:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hot chip? Love aussies! What would we call a 'hot chip'?
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Haha.. I think you would call a hot chip.. Fries? :lol: I forget sometimes we dont all speak aussie slang. :roll:
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

PsittaculaChick- If you do happen to lay your hands on some Zupreem can you let me know where you got it and how much please? Have not been able to find any anywhere.
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

No worries Kateykat. I'll have a ring around some pet stores down here in Melbourne on Monday.
My mother was picking up some seed on the way to my place a few weeks back and asked the pet store staff about pellets. They told her that changing Gilbert over to pellets wouldnt be best for him because he's had seed all his life and that pellets are more expensive. If I can get my hands on some pellets I'll try them with his seed as a staple. Its worth a go. :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby LOVES hot chips!!!

Crikey Mate! he would sell me for a bag of those too :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

:oops: I will not go into detail about Lou and his...um well dislike of pellets or mik will be rid of me fast! lol.

Lou LOVES french fries...i swear he knows what the bag looks like and what they smell like. I cannot hide them from him...he's not a stupid one. :P
~the stubborn one~
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I offer my cockatiel both seed and pellets (so in future i'd do the same for my Ringneck). the pellets are three times more expensive than seed!

hot chips? yum, its breakfast time and i wouldn't mind some now!. I'm aussie. cept, sometimes you get confused coz say, if my mum goes, "i'm going to get us some chips" youre not sure which ones (hot or cold!). True!

and theres these potato chips (crisps) that are called 'french fries'!

my ferret likes junk food (but i don't feed it to her). yet she hesitates to try new meats!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Mik that is the funniest pic! Chips are SERIOUS business! 8) Gilberts eyes pin while hes munchin down some chips and he starts chattering to them :shock: He's not stupid either.. Ive tried eating from a mug because he doesnt come and 'scab' if I drinking coffee. But he smells it and checks my cup to see if I'm lieing to him. So that trick didnt work! hehe Gilbert also loves chicken as much as chips.

I still havnt come across any pellets. :cry: So I'm getting birdy vitamin supplements.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Nope french fries are the hot ones and potato chips are the cold ones. Can you guys just order online? I get most of my bird food that way. Speaking of breakfast.... TTFN
MCS
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I know that. . . but theres a brand that has french fries (crisps/potato chips) that are small sticks like the hot ones.!!!
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Oh yeah....they used to make some that were spicy. I stay out of the chip aisle (far too dangerous), not sure if they still make them. Yummm
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I dont have a credit card to buy online.. those pieces of plastic are dangerous hope I never have one. :D

Haha.. the great debate over CHIPS. :shock: Its all good munchin for birds! No matter what us 'humans' call them.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

We got a 5kg bag of pellets for less than $10. As such, we're only about 3/4 through it and we've had it for a year.

Sunni gets 40%seed, 30% pellets and 30% other (other includes fruit, veggies, salsa, occasionally sunflower seeds, etc).

Sunni hasn't tried chips, tried a dorito once which she liked.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

What brand of pellets is it Matt? I have got my two on Roudybush and it ain't cheap (and I have to have it delivered too because no one has even heard of pellets in this backwater that I call home :roll: )

I was actually thinking of trying a few other brands vetafarm, kaytee, Dr Mac's organic etc. Any one in the land of OZ tried any of these?
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh Matt under 10 bucks where where where? :D I'll try Robbo's Pet Barn over this way. I get a 5 kilo bag of seed there for 10. I've heard of Vetafarm down here but can't seem to find it.
Mattls

Post by Mattls »

Pits you'll find that vetafarm is often repackaged in pet stores and sold as generic "hand rearing mix" or "pellet mix". I can think of at least 2 pet stores in Geelong that have that. My wife bought the pellets so I'm not sure what sort they are, I'll find out.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I only feed my babies pellets.
I use Vetafarm but have also used Passwell's.
They seem to really like the Vetafarm Pellets.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Thanks for replying Jeremy, I was wondering what you feed your babies
Kate
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thanx for all your inputs. Gilbert is now on passwells pellets. Vet told me might take a few months before he gets used to them.. But.. Gilbert started munching into them as soon as I put some in his tray. Now he seems to get excited over the pellets in the bag! He's really not a fussy eater but gets 'bored' with food after a while and thats when I get a big mess. :roll: Anything new he seems to get excited over.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Cindy

pellets

Post by Cindy »

Sorry all, I cant get mine to eat pellets, Not zupreem nor harrison's...Soooooo, I trick them! I make birdie bread...Generic box of cornbread mix or you can make your own mix from scratch to this I add, brocoli, carrots, apples, squash, peas, corn, pepper ( now I chop these in a food processor first or you can dice by hand....then add 1/4 cup seed and 1/2 cup pellets,2 eggs, if to dry just a touch 1/3 cup water,bake at 400 degrees for 20 25 min, cut into squares...I freeze all of it and micro one or two in the morning until defrosted, but not hot...It is the biggest hit around here..EVERY bird and I mean every bird around here eats it...Budgies, lovebirds, cockatiels, ringnecks...Everybody also get some seed, and lots of fresh veggies: peppers, brocoli, carrots, apples, pears, grapes, cherries (pitted), cucumber, all kinds of squash, all kind of mellon, romiane lettuce IRN love the crunchy spines, leaves go to the smaller birds, cilantro, parsely, mashed potatoes reg and sweet, or yams cubed,water chestnuts, bean sprouts,chicken, steak, very well drain hambuger(sirlion), turkey, tuna packed in water, pizza veggie only, whole grain breads no presevs, just depends what is in season...nothing with oil...oatmeal, cream of wheat, LOVES brown rice and pasta with or without sauce, eggs boil or scrambled, french toast no syrup but can have tiny bit and I mean tiny honey, one or two french fries rare, a tiny potatoe chip rare, apple juice, grape juice no sugar added and I keep finding new stuff all the time...this weeks new stuff was water mellon with seeds
Cindy M. and the Flock of 8
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

ok.. well, im not too sure how keen i am on this bird munchies gourmet parrot blend anymore.... i mean sure its a mix of seeds and some pellets, but omfg, u would not believe the amount of sunflower seeds i was pullin outta it today.

we have a shot glass in the seed container, a shot and a bit for baby and 1/2 to a full shot for archimedes (we use one of those 'pre-mix' shots u get with the c sucking cowboys that are split in half) but anywayz, i was puttin 1/2 a shot in a bowl and removin the sunflower seeds, WELL...
towards the end i got bored, started counting how many, there was anywhere from 50-80+ sunflower seeds in each HALF SHOT! :shock: :? :x
wth... imma keep pickin em out, and just givin em 3-4 on top with the fresh seed