Toys for Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

PaigeLouise

Toys for Ringneck

Post by PaigeLouise »

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had some interesting toys they have either bought or made for their bird. I had a look at some today at a pet shop but they seemed very expensive (mind you his cage is full already). Anyway just wondering if anyone had any toys their ringneck especially loved. Need ideas.
Thanks
Bird crazy

toys

Post by Bird crazy »

I take Nila's treats, grapes or raisins, or broccoli (fresh) or a nutriberry and I wrap them in small pieces of baking/cooking parchment paper and twist the ends, like you would see candy in a wrapper that you had to untwist. Nila goes crazy for that. He loves to hold then and get them open and find what's inside.
It's a good treat when I have to put him back in his cage when he's not sure he wants to go in. He readily goes in to get them, I stick them on the perches and wedge them into the bars of the cage so he has to pull them out and wedge them onto the toys in the cage.

I also recently got a small clear plastic treasure chest with different shaped openings and small wooden toys in different shapes inside. The bird has to really work to get them out. He plays with that thing every day. I have to go on my hands and knees to find where the wooden toys are when he drops them and then I put them back.

Have fun!!!

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

When it comes to ringnecks think:

Wood block tied with strings

Bells

Plastic links with bells.

Im my experience, thats what they prefer. Things they can hang on and beat the grap out of. Baby gives his plastic rings a good **** whooping each time he enters his cage.

Anyone elses baby have a ritual like that? He does it every single time. Hops in there ans starts beating the grab out of that thing.
~ Mikaela Sky

PaigeLouise

Toys

Post by PaigeLouise »

Thanks a lot for your ideas. Can't wait to get home to try them out! Ta
Melika

Post by Melika »

What your bird likes will differ from ours, most likely. My sister's bird loves a wide open cage with mostly wooden toys he can destroy and long leather strips he uses to swing wildly about his cage. Hane, my IRN, loves a cluttered cage with ladders, softer wooded toys, ropes, leather (LOVES leather), and deep sounding bells.

Or maybe it's just me that doesn't like the little ding ding bells, lol.

Our birds are from the same clutch and like different toys. ^^

I like www.drsfostersmith.com for my wooden toys. They're relatively inexpensive. Oh, and all my birds love Shredders.
His favourite toy right now is

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 003+113123

I got the small one but he's going through it so quickly I'll get the bigger one next time. And it has reusable parts- those plastic chains I can use to make other toys when it's done. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
iaowings

Post by iaowings »

George loves wood and wicker to chew up but he loves the rope type toys the ones with the leather or rope with plastic or acrylic p thing hanging from it. he will chew up the wood toys and fight, swing, throw them around, and generally rough house with rope stuff. Popsicle sticks are his all time favorite and they are cheep so I get them and give him one every so often, he grabs it and runs off to chew it up.
Bird crazy

Me the worry wart

Post by Bird crazy »

I recently purchased a new toy for Nila.
It had the little wooden spoon type things they give you to eat a dish of ice cream, like popsicle sticks except a little thinner. Nila really loved the toy and within a week had it destroyed totally. But the little wooden things he chewed up seemed to get sharp points to them as he chewed them. Has anyone ever had a bird injure themselves with one that he pulls apart or chews to a point? Nila didn't but I kept trying to calm myself and not take it away. I looked at it every day and the debris he left in the bottom of the cage and worried.
I think sometimes reading all the info on the net can make you paranoid. I've read about rope toys and how they can get a nail caught and hang or if long enough wrap it around thier necks and choke, any type of metal chain, same thing, eating the plastic and rubber and getting too much in their crops and having trouble, It gets to where I wonder if any toy is safe. Any thoughts anyone?
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Melika

Post by Melika »

In the end, anything can kill your bird if it's misused. With plactic toys, just use ones that you're bird can't chew up. For IRNs, acrylic should be just fine.

Keep your rope perches in good condition- just snip off loose threads and if it's bad, replace it.

Metal chains can be dangerous if the links are small enough for a toe or beak to get caught in, so we can avoid those.

As far as sharp wooden parts, I haven't heard of any bird hurting themselves on any.

Of course, birds have broken wings and necks from flapping around in their cages, or out of their cages, or being preyed upon in the wild. Wherever a bird is, something unforseen can happen. So we can do our best to prevent such things but a 100% guarantee? I don't think any of us can think that about our own birds.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Our fids can come up with some pretty nasty ways of hurting themselves with the simplest of toys. Nothing too intricate...or ornate...that's just waiting for disasters...

I prefer Sisal rope to cotton...it's natural and I don't worry so much, though Prin does have one cotton perch that I keep an eye on.

Prinny likes anything with bells that she can shake violently.

Shop wisely and if you think there is any way your bird could hurt himself on it...don't buy it. Use common sense here...

Dani
fiona

Post by fiona »

Fiona doesn't like leather. She likes cotton rope a little more, but she LOVES hemp rope and others of that type that fray easily. She also loves wood blocks, popsicle sticks, etc. She loves cat balls that jingle and anything else that jingles. She likes toys that she has to manipulate to get treats. I tried getting balls that talk or light up, but he was terrified! i also got some bubbles that taste like peanutbutter, but she was scared of that too (I thought she'd love popping the bubbles)