black sunflower seeds as opposed to grey striped

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

black sunflower seeds as opposed to grey striped

Post by ambros1a »

ok, ive read some places, that ringnecks should only be given grey striped sunflower seeds, ive just brought a wild bird seed mix (with the dr. harry approved logo on it) brought it home, and come to realise there are BLACK sunflower seeds, adn noth the regular grey striped..
are the black ones bad for her?
i am giving her none of this seed untill i know for sure lol, id rather be safe than sorry

whats your opinions, and which kind do you give ur babies
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Regular ol black sunflower seeds are high in fat and it is some's opinion that they lead to agression.

Safflower is alot better in those regards. I would just use those as treats.
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

ahh kewl

Post by ambros1a »

we tried her on a bit of the new seed tonight, she seemed to like it, even took it from my partners PALM!!! she doesnt do that, lol.
she has been bitey lately, not sure if its coz shes gettin bored or what, so i brought a playset for her off ebay, and a lil plastic kids sand toy thing, looks sturdy enough, and has 3 spinning wheel things to beak away, its in the bottom of her cage now, but will go on the playground when it arrives.
oh yea, the seed we gave her tonight, we removed the black sunflower seeds, left the grey ones, and one of the selling points to me was the safflower seeds, as ive read many sites recommending it.
soon we will get some pellets for her as well, ive seen a few complete dietry needs pellets at vets and pet stores, so we can introduce those by the end of the week hopefully (if we can get to the store, as the weird vet down from me, does not stock 1 single bird item, not even a treat or chew stick)
she also tried zucchini today for 1st time, seemed to eat it at first, then appeared to just tear it apart, lol, hurry up playground lmao!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ya know hun, I am at a bad place with Baby's food. Or maybe it is because he is moulting... all I know is he isnt eating much. But when I give him whatever I am eating, he is a pig.

He is and has always been on Zupreem Wild n Spicy. Always loved it. I have fought tooth and nail over this brand and now he wont eat it.

I honestly think it is one of two things:

A. he is with me all the time and gets too many fries and apple pie bites. :oops: I know! Shut up. :oops: But, but... he looooves it. Do we all give our babies 'not so good things' because they are too cute to resist? Or is that my short-coming?

B: he is moulting and just isnt eating like he usually does.

Either way, he is healthy and happy. I wish I could help you more on the whole food thing but Im at a loss on it right now myself.
~ Mikaela Sky

xo Missi

Post by xo Missi »

Mikaela wrote:Ya know hun, I am at a bad place with Baby's food. Or maybe it is because he is moulting... all I know is he isnt eating much. But when I give him whatever I am eating, he is a pig.

He is and has always been on Zupreem Wild n Spicy. Always loved it. I have fought tooth and nail over this brand and now he wont eat it.

I honestly think it is one of two things:

A. he is with me all the time and gets too many fries and apple pie bites. :oops: I know! Shut up. :oops: But, but... he looooves it. Do we all give our babies 'not so good things' because they are too cute to resist? Or is that my short-coming?

B: he is moulting and just isnt eating like he usually does.

Either way, he is healthy and happy. I wish I could help you more on the whole food thing but Im at a loss on it right now myself.

Don't worry Mik...Baby loved Pizza Hut crust (we got Pizza Hut a lot) and Bratwursts.... :lol: I would give him a bit of everyting I ate (not the healthiest eater here...) Except chocolate!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Is Ficus Ok for an IRN to chew on?

Baby loves my ficus tree, if he wants it that badly, he can have it.
~ Mikaela Sky

Post by Guest »

As far as I know Ficus is not toxic to birds.
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Ooops that was me, sorry :oops:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I have been letting Baby play in one of my ficus trees.

He has gnawd it down to a numb but hey, keeps him busy. :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Both seeds are fine. They are only harmful if they are given to Ringnecks as their sole diet. Make sure you include other foods too. My Ringnecks get a combination of all kinds of seeds, pellets, and fruits/veggies. Sun flower seeds to not make Ringnecks aggressive. :wink: Sorry Mikaela :wink:

Hope this helps, :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is a myth ringneck?

I use to use them as treats when Baby was just a tot and oooo so mean. He got meaner and some told me to remove the sunflower seeds. I did and he got better.

Doesnt mean it was the sunflower seeds but it did go hand in hand, time-wise. So, I am forced to believe, as many do, they do lead to aggression. However, this is personal experience and very well may not have a thing to do with the seed.

What I do know is: I removed all sunflower seeds after reading they lead to aggression and my bird stopped being a maniac quite quickly.

MMMmm ringneck, I do love to disagree with you! Makes me hot!
:lol:

If you werent my boss..... well we'll leave that to PM. -giggle-

Fraternization in the work place... never good. Granny said even dogs are smart enough not to poo where they eat.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

:shock: Mik! Be good... :P

I think of sunflowers and safflowers like the candy of the food world...the birds would rather eat those than the more health stuff...like your typical child would.

Dani
Melika

Post by Melika »

And my Hane becomes aggressive when pellets comprise too much of his diet (meaning not enough veggies). But I wouldn't say pellets make any bird aggressive.

Remember, to us the junk food may be small amounts, but consider the amount in comparison to your bird. It can add up quite quickly- a few bites here and there and your bird is no longer hungry for the "healthy stuff".

Our ringnecks liked the Wild n' Spicy too! But we liked to switch it up, between that and the fruit one. Garden Harvest smells like bell peppers- ewww.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
baraveryhelles

Re: black sunflower seeds as opposed to grey striped

Post by baraveryhelles »

Striped sunflower seeds are the seeds the snack industry cultivate and roast that you see on the shelves of supermarkets and convenience stores everywhere. They are nutritional for the birds and us, containing protein carbohydrates fat and have a high oil content.