Harrisons Advice Please

Moderator: Mods

Mandy

Harrisons Advice Please

Post by Mandy »

Gandalf has been here 24 hours now. At the moment he is being fed the same seed mix he was eating at the breeders, I offered him a bowl of peppers, carrot and brocolli this morning and he has been eating that all day in preference to the seeds.

I do want to change him on to Harrisons however instead of the seed mix and would like to know which pellet size your IRN's which are on Harrisons prefer?
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

I feed my IRN's a mixture of the coarse high potency, which is what my CAG is fed and the hot and spicy, also coarse. They also eat fresh veggies and a minimal portion of fruit every day. It has taken a while to transition my IRN, she was on zupreem before...good luck with your diet transition, you are definitely doing the right thing!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I recommend Zupreem over Harrison's for two reasons:

1. I know too many ringnecks that were bought a 40 dollar bag and wont eat it.

2. I prefer Zupreem 'wild n spicy' because my ringneck loves it and it is far less than Harrisons but without the sacrifice on quality.

When it comes to Harrison's and vets its like Drs that push drugs, same thing.
~ Mikaela Sky

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

well we all have preferences I guess, so do our sometimes fussy birds!....All I know is that my birds have been on Harrisons all of their lives (up to 12 years and counting) and they have always been healthy happy birds. As a nutritional ecologist I have researched Harrisons but I have not done any research into Zupreem. I am sure it is also a good diet and if your bird eats it, you ate a step ahead already. I agree with Mik that many vets have an agenda (science diet is the perfect example), maybe that is the case now with Harrisons too, I don't know. All I know is it has been a great diet for my feathered family for a long time...try what you think is best and know that your bird may decide you are qwrong-whatever diet you choose!
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

We don't have Zupreem here, and there is one vet clinic in the country that stocks Harrisons. I love it and so do my kids, they are all healthy and happy and I feed them approx. 1/3 seed 1/3 Harrisons 1/3 veges with a little fruit. I know it works for me so I dont care about cost. Most places will give you trial packs to see if it works... Dats eats high potency coarse, hates the fine size likes to have something to hold, even though the vet told me she needed the fine mix. The budgies and lovebird have a mix of fine and coarse and that keeps them happy too, the budgies mostly play with it and dunk it in their water... hrmmm little brats!
-Chamon-

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

I decided to try him on Harrisons because I used to feed it to the last bird I had ( a white fronted amazon, now left home for a life of unashamed baby making) I've also used Zupreem in the past and found it very good. I don't have the problem of my vet high pressure selling as the surgery doesn't sell any bird food.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Mandy,
I am one of those ringneck owners who spent $40 on a bag of Harrisons to have both my babies turn their beaks up at it. Much to my dismay. I even mixed it with three other types and they won't eat it. I don't know if it's cuz it's in little blocks or what. But they won't touch it. Well they do when they throw it out of their bowls. Little brats! :D
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Well I ordered a bag which arrived yesterday and he does appear to be eating it, I'm following the conversion advice on the Harrisons website so fingers crossed.
I bought the smallest bag so I've only spent £7 if he decides he doesn't like it.
Pommeraniac

Food

Post by Pommeraniac »

My baby was only eating a seed mix and minimal fresh veggies every day. I went to the pet store and looked for a pellet and found Zupreem. I filled his cup with that instead of the seed mix and he went crazy. He ate almost the entire bowl. I now keep a cup of the seed mix, a cup of Zupreem Pellets, and a bowl of fresh veggies in there for him to pick what he wants to eat and he mostly only eats the Zupreem pellets. HE LOVES IT!!!

Pommeraniac
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Love Zupreem, they know their ****. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Donna

Harrison Advise

Post by Donna »

In the pellet department I buy Pretty bird, Lafebers, and Roudybush everone here likes something different. Got 8 birds so I have to keep them all happy :D Donna
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Gandalf certainly seems to enjoy the Harrisons anyway I guess being so young he was ready to try anything!
I hoping to get a CAG toward the end of this year, early 2007 and will probably put that onto Harrisons too, I know the breeder weans onto pellets but I'm not sure of the brand yet.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ahhh, you havent weened to pellets yet for your ringneck?
~ Mikaela Sky

kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

mandy...greys need the Harrisons high potentcy diet, mine loves it. Also supplement with raw almonds (organic), they need the extra calcium. I have fed harrisons for over 12 years and my CAG is a healthy happy bird.