Are eucalyptus branches ok?

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Are eucalyptus branches ok?

Post by carrie »

Being in Australia, I was wondering if anyone had any idea whether putting a eucalyptus branch in my parrot's cage is okay? I'm not sure whether the oils in it would be toxic. What kind of branches or timber can I stick in there for him to chew on - he loves my timber blinds which are cedar, but that could be a tad expensive!! Any ideas?
brownbeak

Post by brownbeak »

I was reading about it the other day. the eculyptus is fine. just strip it of it's leave's and dry it out in your oven at about 70 degrees celcius. ur birdy should enjoy stripping the bark off as well.
Pepi, our supposed green indian ringneck has a brownbeak,orange eyelids, and flesh coloured feet. Strange I thought :-)
carrie

Post by carrie »

Excellent - thanks for that info!
Jodie

question

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
According to a website I came across http://www.cockatielcottage.net/houseplants.html
it indicate that eucalyptus branchare toxic to birds. If it is questionable, I would not introduce it to my birds. Hope this helps!
brownbeak

Post by brownbeak »

Eucalyptus branches cannot be toxic to Indian ringnecks as they were exterminating IRN's in Australia for mutilating these such trees! By the way maybe its the odour from the sap in enclosed spaces. But as I said you have to dry out the branches first!!!
Pepi, our supposed green indian ringneck has a brownbeak,orange eyelids, and flesh coloured feet. Strange I thought :-)
Jodie

wow

Post by Jodie »

Hey Brownbeak,
You don't have to be so touchy. I just offered advice, this is actually what this forum is...advice! If there was a questionable subject, I would not want to jeopardize my bird. I felt Carrie might could benefit from this other source.
brownbeak

Post by brownbeak »

Sorry, I didn't want the owner to think that if they already had one of the branches in there it was gonna kill their precious IRN, I know mine is precious to me, and I'd hate to think I had done something that may have cost Pepi his life, I was just trying to point out that you can't believe everything you read, but on the contre, I read my info from the net, but, however, my IRN has had the identical branches I spoke about in his cage for two weeks approx, and he is fine, healthy, happy, and entertained. So sorry for misunderstanding :wink:
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Yes, the Eucalypts are fine. Cockatoos, 'Tiels and budgies all live in them here in Australia, and they are all "parrots" just like Indian Ringnecks. Don't worry, your bird will definitely be, fine. I don't use Eucalypts for Kiki as she has another dowel in her cage, but our budgies have been using it since who-knows-when! They are all parrots and belong to the same sub-species so there is nothing to worry about. A celebrity veterinarian here, I don't know if you've heard of him, Dr. Harry Cooper from the program "Harry's Practice" has certified it to be a non-toxic plant for birds.

This URL says it to be safe>>
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/eucalyptus.html
And here's the rest of the site>>
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/

That's a nice site Jodie :wink: .