Night fright????

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Night fright????

Post by carrie »

Two nights ago I put Atticus to bed - no problems - then about 2 hours later we heard a big bang and she started screaming (not her normal annoying scream but her panicked one like when she's at the vet). We all came rushing from all corners of the house to see what the hell was going on and here she was with her foot tangled up in her cage cover. Her nail had gotten caught in it somehow. I still don't know what on earth happened to make her jump off her perch but she was totally freaking out. It took me about an hour to calm her down and even then when I put her back in she started shrieking. Anyway, I got her in and she quietened down.

Next morning she hadn't slept on her perch - I could tell by the lack of poo in the normal spot. I don't know where she slept or evern if she slept at all because she spent half the day sleeping on my shoulder. But big problems getting her to bed last night. I put her in her cage and she starts panicking and screaming (like the vet scream again) so I didn't push it but I knew she wanted to go to sleep, just not in her cage. I kept trying but no good. Eventually I just basically made her get in there but when I tried to cover her (with a different cover) she starts with the screaming. Finally I just ignore her and cover the cage and after about an hour of climbing around she settles.

Now this morning when I uncovered her she starts the screaming again! She is now absolutely petrified of the cage and cover. What to do? I have decided to take her cage outside and give it a good scrubbing and maybe put a new perch in at the same time - rearrange things a bit - see if that makes a difference. What do you all think? I don't want to have to go through this every night - I hate it when she screams like that because I know she's totally distressed. Sorry for rambling on but I thought maybe somebody had been through this before and knew what to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Wow Carrie,
I'm so sorry to hear this. My Irns have never had night frights. But Milo has had them a few times. Poor Atticus! She was probably petrified! And I'm sure you guys were too. Hearing that scream in the middle of the night. I wish I could offer some advice, but I just have no clue. Milo's never been afraid after an episode. He just goes back in after I've sat with him for quite some time to calm him down. Bless her/your little hearts. Like you two don't have enough going on with her health. I'm so sorry. I hope someone will respond to this with some advice you can use. Good luck!

Hugs,
Jen
Ed Loschi

hope you can get a fix for it

Post by Ed Loschi »

Yeah you got a tough prob going on there, I hope you can get a fix for it.

I've never seen those sorts of night frights or panics in a bird. Your idea of cleaning the cage and rearranging perches in it is good; maybe try out a different location for the cage too; and maybe more (or fewer) toys and stuff in it.

Sometimes car lights shine in through windows at night creating creepy fast moving shadows...heck I get startled by them sometimes. Maybe something like that is happening?

Good luck.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well I put a new perch in and a new, darker cover on. She still doesn't want to go in but she's not screaming anymore. I know she wants to go to bed because she stands on the lounge yelling - her usual bedtime routine - but the closer we get to the cage the more she starts freaking out. Once I get her in she climbs around for about half an hour - but I know if I get her out she'll just start yelling again - so I just leave her in until finally she settles. In the morning she literally jumps out - even onto the kids when normally she just tries to bite them! Anyway I'll just keep plodding along - not much more I can do really. I just hope she gets used to it sooner rather than later....
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Wow that is a new one that I've heard of. An IRN have a night fright...I've only ever had tiels do that!

Dani
venus

Post by venus »

jen5239 wrote:Wow Carrie,
I'm so sorry to hear this. My Irns have never had night frights. But Milo has had them a few times. Poor Atticus! She was probably petrified! And I'm sure you guys were too. Hearing that scream in the middle of the night. I wish I could offer some advice, but I just have no clue. Milo's never been afraid after an episode. He just goes back in after I've sat with him for quite some time to calm him down. Bless her/your little hearts. Like you two don't have enough going on with her health. I'm so sorry. I hope someone will respond to this with some advice you can use. Good luck!

Hugs,
Jen