Bed for your bird

Moderator: Mods

awesome-o

Bed for your bird

Post by awesome-o »

Just a quick question.. Does anyone have one of those "bird beds"? If you can't picture what im talking about, they look like a tent, and hang from them top of cage, looks pretty cosy for a bird, as its getting pretty cold in Melbourne!

Im planning on buying one, but would like some feedback first!!
Thanks!!
Dean
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I personally wouldn't use one with an IRN...they are big chewers and will end up just destroying it and there is a potiental for trouble! I don't put anything cloth in my bird cage because I don't want Prinny to ingest any threads or get caught in it. You'd be amazed at what they can get themselves into.

Dani
Ed Loschi

Try one out and see how it works.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey.
Some brands are called 'Birdy Buddies' (here in US) some are called 'Happy Huts' (AU). Or you can make your own. My little guy really likes his, but it did take him about a month to get used to it; but now it's his night time roost.

When The Beeb hooks into the sides of it he's completely out of sight--just the way he likes it at night.

I made one--they're easy. Used a face towel folded in thirds lengthwise loosley woven through the bars at the top of the cage. There is a simple wooden frame at the bottom of the 'towel hut' to keep it spread out and to collect poop. It is open at the front and rear about 3inches wide X 5inches deep X 11 inches long.

It gets depooped twice a month and laundered once a year.

When this one wears and I make the next one I'm for sure going to make a top frame so that it can be hung and reoriented in the cage every now and then. And maybe a perch might be added but I kind of like the idea of the Beeb having to use his feet to hook in rather than always be on a perch.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah ha I found it! Just so everyone can read what can happen if you place things that are cloth in a cage...please do your research before you buy products for your birds. They are not people...they do not need beds to sleep in.

http://www.birdsafe.com/cage.htm#Happy%20Huts

Scroll down and you can read some of the stories that have happened when a 'happy hut' is used in a cage.

I would not recommed using one for the simple reason that it is not needed for a bird and only clutters a cage.

Dani
awesome-o

Post by awesome-o »

Thanks for the tips guys!! Been a help!
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

Lou had one, and he would rather stand on it, then snuggle in it! lol
~the stubborn one~
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

We had a friend who lost her conure to one of those. ONE thread got loose (she checked it all the time) he got his head in it and choked himself. She freed him still alive, rushed to the vet and he died there.

I will NOT have them in my house.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Both my birds have them and pay them NO attention at all. :cry:

Cockatiel, Peaches and Ringneck, Baby.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I am with Athena on this one...too many bad things can happen.

Dani
Pommeraniac

Happy Huts / Ropes

Post by Pommeraniac »

Okay I know I am reading this post after everyone had stopped posting on the topic, but i am new and going back to read some of the older post.

What about toys that have ropes? I bought one that has a wooden teddy bear on the top with all kinds of ropes that hang through the bear with beads on the ends of each rope. My little Paco loves it. He will play with it for hours. Is it safe to keep ropes in the cage or will they get their toe nails stuck in them?

Thanks,
Scott & (Paco)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is actually a very common, well-loved toy by IRN's. Its perfect... no worries. My Baby too loves his.
~ Mikaela Sky

julie

Post by julie »

just remember to do checks on the toys everyday to make sure they are still safe,if anything looks wrong and you think he may get caught replace it.