Settling in

Moderator: Mods

Princess Yuz

Settling in

Post by Princess Yuz »

I was just wondering how long it takes an Indian ringneck to settle in proberly when you buy it. When it starts playing with its toys and chirping and interacting more. I have had my Indian ringneck for two weeks now and he does not like to come out the cage. He does not play with any toys. He is fully tame but he does not chirp or make any noises
MissK

Re: Settling in

Post by MissK »

Hi Princess,

I don't recall how old your bird is, and I have never had a baby, myself. I do recall reading/hearing that babies develop over time and you may have to wait to see certain behaviours. With regards to bringing home adult birds, I can say that mine have settled in at different rates and with different behaviours.

It took Rocky some time to learn how to use his cage. I am hoping he already knew about toys, since he was already 10, but where I found him there was just a hanging block of wood toy, untouched. Rocky took to his foot toys right away, but it was six months before he started chewing on stuff. It was months more until he learned to travel in groovy Ringneck ways, and this skill is still developing. Rocky lived the bulk of his life in a very small cage in a family home.

On the other hand, Sinbad came fully proficient in locomotion but seemingly totally ignorant of toys. In his first month I have not seen him even look at a toy of any kind, but I know he has because half his wooden clothespin (for holding leaves) is mysteriously missing..... :wink: He would not eat in front of me for at least a week, maybe two. He has not bathed as far as I can tell. Sinbad's first 15 years are quite uncertain, but I suspect he was housed in a larger cage and likely did some breeding. I think that he chews only wood might be another clue there.

I would suggest that, to keep yourself busy and relaxed, you keep a little journal or report here weekly on what new behaviours you are seeing since a full week before. It's very pleasing to note your bird's accomplishments and then you can brag to a sympathetic audience. BUT, if you are inspecting him every day for progress you'll probably just get frustrated and tense.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

My first bird was singing and playing inside of an hour of bringing him home. He has proven to be quite bold and willing to explore.

My newest bird took a few days and seemed pretty nervous. All he wanted to do was eat non stop for like 3 days.

So based on that I'd say there is no predefined time frame.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:Hi Princess,

I don't recall how old your bird is, and I have never had a baby, myself. I do recall reading/hearing that babies develop over time and you may have to wait to see certain behaviours. With regards to bringing home adult birds, I can say that mine have settled in at different rates and with different behaviours.

It took Rocky some time to learn how to use his cage. I am hoping he already knew about toys, since he was already 10, but where I found him there was just a hanging block of wood toy, untouched. Rocky took to his foot toys right away, but it was six months before he started chewing on stuff. It was months more until he learned to travel in groovy Ringneck ways, and this skill is still developing. Rocky lived the bulk of his life in a very small cage in a family home.

On the other hand, Sinbad came fully proficient in locomotion but seemingly totally ignorant of toys. In his first month I have not seen him even look at a toy of any kind, but I know he has because half his wooden clothespin (for holding leaves) is mysteriously missing..... :wink: He would not eat in front of me for at least a week, maybe two. He has not bathed as far as I can tell. Sinbad's first 15 years are quite uncertain, but I suspect he was housed in a larger cage and likely did some breeding. I think that he chews only wood might be another clue there.

I would suggest that, to keep yourself busy and relaxed, you keep a little journal or report here weekly on what new behaviours you are seeing since a full week before. It's very pleasing to note your bird's accomplishments and then you can brag to a sympathetic audience. BUT, if you are inspecting him every day for progress you'll probably just get frustrated and tense.
Yes I wil will tpdefinetley do this but I am just worried because i wanted to spoil him but he doesn't seem to est treats or vegetables and play with toys. Plus he only likes sunflower seeds and peanuts and I know this is not a healthy diet but I have tried pellets and he hates them.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Get away from sunflower seeds asap, of course, and he'll eat pellets as long as he knows it's food. He may only pick a little but he won't let himself starve
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:Get away from sunflower seeds asap, of course, and he'll eat pellets as long as he knows it's food. He may only pick a little but he won't let himself starve
He's actually on a parrot mix so it doesn't only consist of seeds but of dried banana chips, chillies,etc. I fed him peelers for a week and he didn't eat it once and he knew it was food. He became really skinny and I got worried so changed the food and he just seems so much happier with this food option
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Does he get any fruits or vegetables... fresh ones?
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:Does he get any fruits or vegetables... fresh ones?
Yes I give them to him every day apples,pears,broccoli,etc. He seems to love apples
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Concentrate on fruits and vegetables primarily. And go sparingly on the apples so that maybe you can use it as a training treat later
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:Concentrate on fruits and vegetables primarily. And go sparingly on the apples so that maybe you can use it as a training treat later
Thanks I will try to do this what treats do you use for training your parrot
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

One bird like peanuts and almonds for training and foraging which I get out of a treat bag. It also has these dehydrated gummy things he likes too.

As for my newer bird i've managed to teach him to like the things in that bag that the first bird won't touch.

Every bird's absolute favorite is unique to that bird. Apples would make a great training tool for your bird possibly
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:One bird like peanuts and almonds for training and foraging which I get out of a treat bag. It also has these dehydrated gummy things he likes too.

As for my newer bird i've managed to teach him to like the things in that bag that the first bird won't touch.

Every bird's absolute favorite is unique to that bird. Apples would make a great training tool for your bird possibly
Oh right how many birds do you have and how old are they
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

2yrs old
The other is just about 6 months
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:2yrs old
The other is just about 6 months

I want to buy another bird for company for skyler but I don't know of he is a boy or girl and I don't want them to breed how did you find out.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

The first one was a toss in the wind, the second was sexed before I bought him. Both are male
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

[quote="Donovan"]The first one was a toss in the wind, the second was sexed before I bought him. Both are male[/quote

So do they get along in the same cage
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

They have separate cages.
The older one wants to get along but the younger one seems to prefer the company of people
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:They have separate cages.
The older one wants to get along but the younger one seems to prefer the company of people
Oh right thanks for all your help
MissK

Post by MissK »

-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:Princess, read this link.

http://www.parrothouse.com/pamelaclark/ ... anion.html
Thanks missk this helped me a lot