Housing IRN with other birds such as a cockatiel

Moderator: Mods

doremon

Housing IRN with other birds such as a cockatiel

Post by doremon »

Hi! I am looking at getting a handraised IRN. I have always wanted to own one.

I currently own a cockatiel and is thinking a getting a bigger cage for the IRN. But I am not too sure whether I should house the IRN together with my cockatiel. Is there a chance that the IRN will attack my cockatiel?

Thanks.
Doremon
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Housing Ringnecks with other parrots is not advised, as with most other parrots species. This can be disastrous, especially with a cockatiel. Cockatiels are soft tempered parrots with small beaks. Defending itself against a Ringneck would be impossible especially if it is a female Ringneck.

If you planning on getting a Ringneck, keep them housed inside their own cages. During play time the birds should be supervised to ensure there is minimal fighting. Even if it appears the birds are getting along, Ringnecks sometimes become territorial and nippy. This behavior is especially prominent during the breeding season and your cockatiel might get a nasty attack or injury.

But to answer your question I would not advise it.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Also I must applaud you for doing research before buying your bird! You seem very responsible for doing your research. :D

Best Wishes,

I.C.
doremon

Clipping the wing of IRN

Post by doremon »

I am wondering whether it's advisable to clip the wing of my IRN (being a handraised one)?

Regards
Doremon
ringneck
Site Admin

Wings

Post by ringneck »

Yes it’s a very good idea! A tame Ringneck can quickly become nippy if the wings are allowed to grow out. Keeping the wings trimmed gives the bird a new attitude adjustment. When the wings are clipped, the Ringneck becomes dependant on you for being carried to its play stand and out of cage time.

Not only does a wing clip keep the bird down to earth with, but has many safety reasons as well. Something might startle the parrot and BOOM; it flies into a window or mirror. Even worse, it might fly into a toilet and drown. The dangers are endless.

Hope this helps
:wink:
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

urgh, horrible spammers, thats the 2nd time ive seen this long crap above...

anyways, ive thought the same thing, i had wanted to keep the green cheek im thinkin of gettin with baby, but i realise now its not gonna happen.

after your coments ringneck, and the fact my new cage for baby is massive, im now reconciled to the fact that it may have to be housed in babys old smaller cage... not easy to accept, but thinkin of how little the ones i saw in the shop were, baby would be one big white giant to it.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Im an early bird and caught them in the act.

IP 66.249.65.97

Wont have them to worry with anymore. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

YAY! well done mik, what would we do without ya :D
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

woo-hoo! way to go Mik!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Never know when Im watching. :wink:

One click of a mouse and I disappear yet remain aboard.
~ Mikaela Sky

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hi, I'm Austalian and here we keep birds in avairies (some are pets in cages though!). I read a book on Aviculture that suggested to not put any other parrots with the IRP, except house two IRP's together. But as you guys often tame your parrot to be one of the family and they are flock animals, i guess an IRP alone is alright.
Peanut

IRn and cockateil

Post by Peanut »

I have both a IRN and a cockateil, and the IRN tries to bite my other birds head off. Not sure why, because my cockateil is calm and nice. Personally, I would not put them in the same cage and give them their own space :D
DianneFutureRN

Parakeet with an IRN

Post by DianneFutureRN »

I just got my two babies from someone who didn't have enough time to spend with them. One is a male Indian Ring Neck and the other is a parakeet. According to the previous owner, she bought the parakeet to keep the IRN company because she no longer had time for him and thought he was lonely. The funny thing is, they get along wonderful! I was skeptical at first but they are so cute together. When I make kissy noises and say "kiss, kiss" they put their beeks together like they are kissing.
I have only had them for about a week now. The only thing that bothers me is that neither one plays with any toys. They just sit on the perch side by side and chatter once and a while to each other. Should I be concerned that they don't play or are they still getting use to their new environment? They are in their original cage.
Thanks for your advice.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Congratulations on your new additions. A week is not very long for birds to settle in, sometimes it takes weeks or much longer. Did they have toys in their previous home? You may need to show them what to do! Would love to see photos and hear more about your little ones.
MCS