Sugar ants

Moderator: Mods

SunniDai

Sugar ants

Post by SunniDai »

Ok. So we have an outdoor aviary where the fids like to spend their whole day. They have fresh water and shaded areas and I don't blame them for being out in the sun and fresh air.
The problem I am having is that I put fresh veggies out there and withing fifteen minutes, it is covered in sugar ants. I have tried sprinkling cinnamon around the bottom of the advisory and it slows them down for a bit. I have tried hanging the veggies on a treat stick and inside foraging toys. Same problem. I hose down the aviary every evening so it's clean. I'm at a loss.
Does anyone have any suggestions, other than make them come back inside for eating?
Thanks!
Dana
~Dana

Donovan

Re: Sugar ants

Post by Donovan »

fly tape around the base?
MissK

Post by MissK »

A moat. Is that how we spell moat? :?: Put whatever is holding the food in a container of water because ants will not swim or travel under water on purpose. Perhaps you can get some plastic pipe and set it in a bucket in cement or gravel, leaving room to include water. Or perhaps you can just place the bucket in a shallow dish of water, which would make it easier to change the water for cleanliness. Build whatever you like for dispensing food on the pipe, as you see some people make play gyms from pipe. You look at what they have done and you will figure out how you like to make yours. AND birdies will get a new toy! Win, Win, Win.
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Thank you guys. I have some thinking to do :)
~Dana

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Ants detest water, so keep hosing, better still, see if you can locate the nest and keep hosing it until it is completely destroyed, we had a red ant nest years ago, and didn't realise until my mum and daughter Samoyeds dug it up, Amy, the daughter came indoors with a face so swollen, she could barely open her eyes, after an emergency visit to the vet and anti histamine jab, we traced the problem and poured boiling water on the nest, then blasted it with the hose twice a day, until we were satisfied it and it's occupants were completely annihilated.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I think I figured it out :)
I took their food dish and set it in a larger bowl of water. Kind of made them happy, Sunni and Oliver especially, as they are both dippers. They will dip EVERYTHING in water. I find the strangest things in their water dish that they've dipped :lol:
On another note, Sunni actually chased one of the ants and scooped it up in her beak. She spit it out, though. It was rather amusing!
As for finding the nest, the Pacific Northwest has a huge sugar ant issue. I would love to build a moat around the house to keep all bugs out!
Thanks for the tips.
Dana
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

I hear ants are bitter..........
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

That's what I hear, too. She scooped it up and nibbled for a second, then flung it out of her mouth and shook her head, then took a long drink lol. Guess we learned an important lesson right there :lol:
~Dana

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Beer can be bitter. But to protect young plants from slugs put a plastic cup in the ground full of beer. The slugs come along and fall in and die happy.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth kills and repels ants, and is non-toxic to the birds. I get it cheaply at the local feed store in 50lb bags and use it in the chicken coop. I also use it to kill/repel mites (they dust bathe in a mixture of sand and DE, and I rub the perches down with it, especially the undersides for red mites here). Can also work in your house swept into unused corners (why didn't I think of using this sooner for bugs inside???).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

SunniDai - I have your answer... motor oil.. a very small amount all the way around the bottom

I have a hummingbird feeder that was being invaded by ants. I have it on a pole-hook thing. I put a little motor oil around the bottom and the ants took at least 3 weeks to even think about coming back... they hate that stuff
MissK

Post by MissK »

You have to tell me this AFTER I install my window AC?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

lol do what MissK?
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's been really hot lately -- perhaps you can relate. I've been running my whole house AC and it's going to be a really high bill, so today I put a window unit in the bedroom. There are ANTS living right where the window closes, so every time I open the window they go nuts. Somebody just took the lid off their world. I installed the AC in that window, so I expect they are going to move into it. If I'd known about the MOTOR OIL then I would have put some under there.
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I took some Vaseline and rubbed it onto the hook that holds my hummingbird feeders up. They won't go near it :)
And I sprinkled cinnamon around the bottom of the outdoor aviary. Much better.
~Dana