Urgent! bird chipping paint off

Moderator: Mods

SweetieMyBaby

Urgent! bird chipping paint off

Post by SweetieMyBaby »

Hello all!
I just noticed my bird chipping paint of her cage. :( Is she eating it?
We relocated to a new place, so I bought her a new smaller cage..for a few days.
She looks happy and is in her usual form. She has the habit of nibbling and chewing cage bars..but I just noticed that the paint is coming off it. :O
I cant shift her to her older cage this week & a new cage is not available in my city.
I am literally panicking, how to keep her off the bars? Will she be okay ? I think she has been doing this for a week now :-(
I dont know whether the paint is safe for her. It was given by a parrot keeper..he said he doesn't know what paint it is..but it is safe for birds :cry:
SkyeBerry

Re: Urgent! bird chipping paint off

Post by SkyeBerry »

If you know what type of cage it was, google it. The description should say if it is bird safe. Hopefully, it is actually powder coating. You can usually contact the manufacturer directly if you are unsure. The are also test kits for lead. I have some from 3M. They are relatively inexpensive. I would also consult with a veterinarian especially if you cannot find out what was on the cage bars. If the 'paint' contains lead, it is potentially lethal and in smaller doses could cause serious problems. Parrots will chew the bars for something to do and for something to chew. Make sure the bird has safe chew toys - appropriate sticks, wooden toys, cones etc. If unsure research here or on the net. Although the bird is not eating the paint as a food source, it is possible pieces will fall into the mouth, and get swallowed.

Even if the cage is considered bird safe - no lead - I do not think it is good the paint is coming off. I would replace the cage as soon as possible. If it is powder coated I would still replace it, because it is obviously old and wearing out or poorly done. Some cages contain lead underneath the powder coating. Can you arrange to borrow a cage? Contact a rescue facility, they may be able to assist you if they have some extra cages that have been donated. Try a local SPCA.

I am sure others will likely add to this post.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

If this were my situation I would take the bird out of that cage right away, as in as soon as I saw it happen and saw the paint was not sound. I would rather stuff my bird in a travel cage while I lined up new housing than expose him to a possible hazard like eating paint. Lots of cages are made in China, the land of melamine in pet food and lead in toys (sorry China!).
-MissK
SweetieMyBaby

Post by SweetieMyBaby »

Thanks for the valuable advice SkyeBerry n MissK.
Considering how dangerous this could be, I shifted her back to her large cage somehow :| .. without setting it up or fixing her corner. I could not arrange for another cage this soon..and moving her was urgent.She may not be happy for now but she is safe at least.
The problem actualy is that not many people have parrots as pets..where I live. And, those who do..are too ignorant about their lives. Most of the streets have cages on sale, but no seller has a clue about safety. :?
Anyway, first thing in the morning..I'll search for a vet.
MissK

Post by MissK »

In uncertain times, stainless steel is a very good choice.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Anodized aluminum is cheaper and some people think better than stainless steel. I have not compared the 2 myself. I understand that you might not be able to get a cage locally. Can you order from the internet? There are many good companies and I know for a fact that MissK will have a very good recommendation for you. :wink:
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's true I have more than a passing interest in housing. :lol: My internet searching time is a bit compromised right now, but I might be able to squeeze some in if you let me know where you are. And if they speak mostly English, French, or possibly German there. Otherwise it could get more than dicey. :? Otherwise, if you're willing, I'd love to learn Italian and Spanish, so I could *help* you shop in those languages.... :mrgreen:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

In the meantime you could smear petroleum jelly (vaseline) on the bars this wil help deter the bird form biting by tasting awful and making the bars slippery.
misspigeon

Post by misspigeon »

I had a similar episode with my IRN recently. Luckily she was fine but I mixed in her water bowl 1/2 distilled water (you buy it in casks from the supermarket) and 1/4 colloidal silver just to be sure. I find silver a very good thing to have around, especially with pets and in emergencies (if you don't drink it yourself, as well). It kills bacteria and helps with toxins in the body and is perfectly safe and even healthy in moderation.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Misspigeon - I assume the other 1/4 is the regular water?
Mary
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have never heard of collidal silver is that like quick silver?
Melika

Post by Melika »

AJPeter wrote:I have never heard of collidal silver is that like quick silver?
Quicksilver, as I know it, is the nickname for mercury, which is toxic.

Colloidal silver is a natural anti-bacterial. It is silver suspended in a colloid. I wouldn't make it at home or take too much- doing so can have amusing side-effects (can turn you blue haha!).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you Melika, l had some silver suspenders once they held my socks up but they would collapse, l would feel blue.
But l get your collidial.