INR size and weight question

Moderator: Mods

Kyallsb

INR size and weight question

Post by Kyallsb »

Hey guys, first time owner, first time user :)

I have a 15 month old IRN, black ring becoming more apparent daily, so I'm guessing is a male, he's blue.

My brother has recently moved in with me, he has a much younger INR and he was told it was a female.

This INR looks stockier and bigger than mine.

What weight should ring necks be?

And are the females bigger?

My boy is healthy and has a great diet.

First time owner :)
AJPeter

Re: INR size and weight question

Post by AJPeter »

Hi,
Search weight on the forums but quickly an IRN would weigh about 250 grams Alexandrine about 300 grams, males heavier than females.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

AJPeter wrote:Hi,
Search weight on the forums but quickly an IRN would weigh about 250 grams Alexandrine about 300 grams, males heavier than females.
Indian ringneck average is actually about 120g. But you are better off feeling the condition of their keelbone to assess their condition.
I have never heard that males are heavier than females. My female is one of the biggest irns I've seen.

There are different factors that could make one bird larger, genetics, how it was raised etc.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Skyes-crew said the keel bone should be flat but Billie has a very sharp keel bone, is there anything l can assume by that?Also Alex are a lot heavier than IRN, l am afraid my estimate for IRN was a guess, but a search would have shown me up.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Aj, guessing doesn't really help anyone. If you are concerned that your birds condition has decreased you should talk to your vet. From what I have read 300g is at the larger end of the scale for an Alex, but I'm not an expert and have very little interest in those birds, so I haven't read a lot.

Here is a description of how to tell body condition:
"Body condition: Pick up bird and run your finger down the center of the breast. You should be able to feel the keel bone running from chest to abdomen. A healthy bird should have muscle on either side of the bone. A bird that has lost weight will have a very “pointy” sharp chest, or even small depressions immediately to each side of the point of the keel. Feel your healthy bird’s keel so you will know how normal feels and will be able to recognize abnormal when it occurs. Weight loss can be significant in birds in a very short amount of time, as little as a day or two, depending on the disease. Weight loss is a sure sign that something is wrong." (From: http://theexoticvet.com/care-sheets/is-my-bird-sick/)
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My kitchen scales have gone mad today l carefully weighd Billie 257 grams tomorrow l will buy new scales thank you Claire for the link, no more guessing
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Having trouble finding the info

What about a 3 month old? I would assume it to still be a little boney feeling since its still developing. How should the sides of its keel feel?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Following on l weighed Billie on some new scales and she clocked in at 241 grams which is about average for an Alex, during the egg laying she lost a lot of weight and dropped to 225 grams her keel bone was sharp and angular but l am pleased to say that she put that weight back on her keel bone is flat with good muscle either side of the bone making it almost flat. If she could she would have said "Hallo! Hallo! Hallo!"

I think Billie is 3 years old. I have had her since August of last year. Sorry Molossus cannt post picture, Skye did the honors for me when l sent her an email attachment. Billie is coming up to the end of her molt.
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Intheair has given good advice.
I thought Ringnecks were smaller than Alexandrine!
Dexter comes in at 224g He came to me at 216g and I feel he is in good condition. I have no idea which sud species he is though.
The keel bone or should I say the amount of meat either side of the keel bone is much more important than weight.
But in saying that it is always good to keep their weight on record as a drop or increase can indicate something is wrong.
I do not know very much about Ringnecks or Alexandrine when it comes to their weights.
But do know with Cockatiels they can weigh from as low as 68g to 115g. I have two females over 120g.

Here is Potato Rainbow Lorikeet Semi Naked
So he gives a good idea of the keel bone and the meat or the lack of it either side of the keel.

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

He looks oven ready, in fact l have seen oven ready birds in the supermarket that have more meat than Potato, why has he lost so many feathers?
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

I cannot answer that question.
He was released to the rescue in this state. And Lyn did nothing to find out if he had any health issues.
It was 'Not my call'. I would of run all the tests on him. It is hard to keep ones mouth shut sometimes.
A: To see if their was anything wrong.
B: So we could help him with his feathers and his weight.

In the year I was around him he did not see him improve.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

We could also be talking about the difference between an Indian Ringneck and an African Ringneck. Indians are larger with orange beaks, while the Africans are smaller (seems like about almost half the size) with darker beaks.
We have two of each.
Dana
~Dana