Pasta & White Bread??

Moderator: Mods

Greenpitbul1113

Pasta & White Bread??

Post by Greenpitbul1113 »

Coucou my 7 month indian always is attentive to me when I am coming from the kitchen. So I return to the kitchen cutting a small portion of fresh white bread that I am giving while grabs it with its beak and eating it with great greed.
The same behavior is noticed when I am giving Coucou white pasta cooked with olive oil. The bird eats with big appetite.
Of course there is always a plate with seeds and another plate with veggies, beans, peppers etc..
Is it healthy to to give him these pasta & white bread?? The bird always looks at me as I am obliged to give a treat or some food and I like this..
Coukou's mate
sanjays mummi

Re: Pasta & White Bread??

Post by sanjays mummi »

There is bleach in the flour white bread is made from, also, it swells up inside, The best bread, and Sanjays favourite is seedy bread, especially if it is linseed, or pumpkin seed. Pasta, hmm, maybe wholemeal or organic might be ok, but only now and then, because of the starch in durum wheat.
Greenpitbul1113

thanks sanjay for your advice...
Coukou's mate
Melika

Post by Melika »

White bread is basically sugar when processed in the body. That really goes for all grains, but the more processed, the less nutritive and the more quickly is becomes sugar. Birds eat grains in the wild, but live and unprocessed.

So it basically should be limited to a treat. It's not going to harm the bird in small amounts. Just keep in mind what a small amount would be for a parrot, not a human. :lol: Hane will get a bite (his size bite) or three of bread/wheat products, that's all. I want his crop full of nutritive foods, not the other way around. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Greenpitbul1113

a small amount of bread is like the size of the finger nail so as to use it as a treat?
Coukou's mate
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I peg a slice of seedy bread up in the cage, Sanjay picks all the seeds out!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Greenpitbul1113 wrote:a small amount of bread is like the size of the finger nail so as to use it as a treat?
That's just fine. Sometimes Hane will grab more and run off with it. I'm not completely paranoid about it- relax and enjoy food time with your FID. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay