Warming BloodWing

Moderator: Mods

ChiMoAlexia

Warming BloodWing

Post by ChiMoAlexia »

Heya There!

My 9 Month Old Indian Ringneck, BloodWing is now preparing to go through a chilly winter with me here in Texas. She's fluffing up at night and covering her feet to stay warm but she still shivers and quakes from the cold.

I won't buy her a heater because I know the fumes they give off are dangerous. And shes Albino, so the UV lamp I use for King DeDeDe (my white's tree frog) isn't a good idea.
I use a blanket to cover her cage but its not enough.

What can I do for my girl?
MissK

Re: Warming BloodWing

Post by MissK »

You can get her a heated perch. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=10899 Reviews indicate it is slick, so advise not to clip her nails too short, and get the small size.

Also protect from drafts.

Has anybody got any input on ceramic heat emitters, as for reptiles?

BTW, why is the UV lamp not good for an Albino?
-MissK
ChiMoAlexia

Post by ChiMoAlexia »

UV rays (ultraviolet rays) are usually absorbed by the melanin in the fur, skin or feathers. But in a creature with Albinism, UV rays can burn the skin, cause cancers and even blind the creature. A UV lamp uses a hot blue light to produce UV rays which could injure my birdy baby.

So I can't use that. .
MissK

Post by MissK »

Interesting!
-MissK
warbuckle

Post by warbuckle »

Morning,

where is the bird housed??........I have ringers cage about 4 feet from an old cast iron radiator, he seems fine so far with the cold weather here.

Will
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

MissK,

I don't personally use a ceramic heater, but I think Mel, one of the authors at birdtricks.com, uses a ceramic globe heater for her elderly (64+ year old) galah cockatoo, and he likes it. I'll try to dig up her talking about it when I'm not on my phone for you later.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

What about a fan heater?, we couldn't use an infra red when we bred Samoyeds, the heat would have been too much, fan heaters were ideal. If she is outside, maybe old double glazing panels, bubble wrap or heavy duty polythene on the outside of the bars, with double glazing panels, you could open and close them when necessary