Collapsible / foldable cages

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Collapsible / foldable cages

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'd like to get a decent sized cage that the birds can live in whilst on holidays. We only have a sedan car and no trailer so I'm thinking I should get a collapsible cage that we can fit in the boot/trunk or in the car. The only results my google search is giving me is:
http://youtu.be/Q0YkNep3G9E
http://www.mammothpetsupplies.com.au/sh ... cages/0303

These cages look perfect but are very expensive. Does anyone else have any ideas? I need to purchase in Australia.

Ellie.
MissK

Re: Collapsible / foldable cages

Post by MissK »

Ellie, my thoughts:

1) I don't know about the exchange rates, but anything that many dollars must be very dear indeed.

2) My canary cages (two types) are all "collapsible", in that they came folded and I just had to open them out and either put on a roof or secure the joints in place and then slid in the pan. All my travel cages are the same way, and I think Rocky's even calls itself collapsible. The thing is, they still take up a lot of room in the flat format. I also think they have an undesirable flimsiness factor.

3) I assembled my regular cages when I bought them, and it was easy, even easier the second time. As long as you don't lose the screws, you might find something assembly-required that is much cheaper. And strap a dedicated screwdriver to it while it's not in use.

4) This, pardon the great similarity to the cages I'm always pushing, is closest to what I would want for you, although maybe big. I really wished for something exactly like my former Budgie cage, but internet shopping in Australia must take some tricks I don't know! The plastic pan is probably vulnerable during transport, however. Downside - that stand may be an integral part of it, unless you use a hacksaw.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Black-La ... 3386f010ba
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Avian Adventures cages snap together, no bolts or screws, and thus are easy to take apart.

But any parrot cage is quite the investment.

What about a dog kennel/crate? They're much cheaper and foldable. I've used them in the past as temporary housing.

Also I have a budgie/tiel cage, which is fine for a week or two. It has a top the opens and you put a perch there, so it's a playtop. It isn't large, so it's not something Hane can stay in all day every day, but he doesn't seem to mind for such a short time as a vacation. I rather think he likes the security if there's a lot going on around him (I cover the back half of the cage if someplace new). Currently it's his outdoor 'sun cage' lol. This is also my hurricane/etc. evacuation cage.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Far out, those are some expensive cages! It'd be cheaper to buy an old ute to use as your holiday car :mrgreen:
Squidgettes can be used independently of it's stand and is easier to put up than a tent... I think 8 screws...
Have you measured up your car? I know I can get my big (105cm) hoop into the boot of most modern sedans, maybe a long but not so high desplay cage would work.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My friend suggested this one:
http://petsuperstore.com.au/index.php?r ... uct_id=256

What do you think? I think it's a bit smaller than Squidgettes?

Claire - I'll have to measure the car boot and see what I can fit in it. If I could get the cage you have for Squidgette and the price you got it for, I think it would be hard to go past it if it fits.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Squidgettes cage is the 604. They are about the same price as that one from petstock now. I knew I should have told you about that sale!