How much is too much? HELP

Moderator: Mods

Kenzie

How much is too much? HELP

Post by Kenzie »

I havn't had Taj for long and when i got him and asked for the right seed they gave me a parrot mix. I thought all was fine and a pet shop should know what to feed but after reeding all the posts here i dont know what to do. The mix has plenty of other seeds in it but all Taj eats are the sunflower seeds and theres alot of them.

Also i put Colliflower, Broccolli and carrot in for dinner but he wont touch them he just throws them out. The only other things he eats are Apple and Grapes. He eats an average size bunch of grapes a day, How much is to much????????
natalie

hello again

Post by natalie »

Hello Kenzie, we discussed the issue of grapes recently and apperently grapes are only to be given as occasional treats :shock: , try telling my marley that. Anyway they arnt poisonous but they will make your taj have watery poo :roll: But u could use the grapes to ur advantage, once your bird trust u more u could offer him grapes through the bars , as he likes them so much,It worked for marley. Marley also like your bird had been bought up on a fattening diet, but with perseverence marley is starting to experiment with different fruit and veg. I've found he likes everything cut into nice small pieces, if its too big he slings it on the floor.Good luck anyway. natalie :wink:
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Try swapping him over to a pellet diet and use the parrot mix sparingly and also keep giving him those vegies.

It may sound cruel but if he is hungry he will eat what he's given. And those birds would chew through anything. It helps if you eat (or pretend to eat) it too.

Birds grow up and learn to eat what the rest of the flock eats regardless of whether they like it or not.
julie

Post by julie »

indie is like a kid he wants what we eat.try sugar snap peas or some kind of peas in a pod something for him/her to pull apart.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Here what I do and it works pretty well for Prinny:

We have a pelleted diet that is mixed with a few table spoons of a seed mixture. Don't take away seeds completely as parrots have an innate need to crack seeds.

She gets fresh fruits and veggies twice a day, once for breakfast and once for dinner. Generally it's what ever we have in the house.

She sometimes gets some of what I am eating as well.

Feeding one grape is like feeding a human a big bunch of them...and since they are really nothing but sugar I would limit them.

Dani and Prinny
Ed Loschi

Post by Ed Loschi »

Why are grapes getting such a bad rap? Grapes have water, fructose, bulk (roughage), and good vitamins, and seeds. And in the wild world for a parrot the grape would fruit at a certain time in the season, the birds would concentrate their feeding on the grapes at that time, demolish it and then turn their attention to another food source.
Just like at home, no grapes they gotta find another foodie.
And over a holiday you can give the fid some well ripened grapes...just like having a sip of wine.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I give my babies one grape a day. It's really something they enjoy. I cut it up into slices and put with their fresh stuff. I don't have a problem with runny poo. I give my babies one grape, apple slices, 2 dif. kinds of pear slices, a piece of banana, brocolli-just one little thing of the top bushy part-, slice of cucumber, fresh green bean, brussell sprout, some celery cut up and sometimes the top green leafy part. And then some nutri berries, maybe a few cheerios and maybe some shredded wheat. I've tried snow peas but am out at the moment. I also have tried cauliflower but they don't seem too interested. And they also get pellets. Remmi loves his fresh food. Byndi not so much. He was bred and raised on seed and that's what he wants to eat. I mix pellets in with his seed but he mainly just throws them out. He is starting to eat some apple and grapes tho. He's coming over to our side. Hehehe!

Jen
Melika

Post by Melika »

Grapes aren't bad. Grapes with seeds are great, especially if your bird eats the seeds since they are high in antioxidents.

But seedless grapes are pretty much just a lot of water. It's a genetic freak in the natural world.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay