Hand raising 5 week old baby Indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Brookie87

Hand raising 5 week old baby Indian ringneck

Post by Brookie87 »

Hello,
I'm new here and a first time owner of a gorgeous 5 week old Indian ringneck, which I am hand raising.
I have a few questions:

I have had Yoshi for almost 2 weeks and in the last week I have noticed she is not as keen on her handraising mixture as she previously has been. She still eats it, however she seems to tire of the feed quicker than she was before. She is currently fed 3 Times daily, is this enough?
Also I have let her try a bit of grated apple and mashed banana (just off my finger) just to introduce fruit to her. Is this okay?
I also left some millet in her "nest" with her for the first time today and she was dry interested in it, but is it safe for her to have? I'm not trying to wean her,
But want to make sure she has different things to try in the build up to weaning and with her not being so interested in her handraising mix.
And finally, am I able to add puréed apple to her handraising formula to entice her a bit more, or is this not a good idea?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards :)
McmillanBirds

Re: Hand raising 5 week old baby Indian ringneck

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi there
Brookie87 wrote:Hello,
I'm new here and a first time owner of a gorgeous 5 week old Indian ringneck, which I am hand raising.
I have a few questions:

I have had Yoshi for almost 2 weeks and in the last week I have noticed she is not as keen on her handraising mixture as she previously has been. She still eats it, however she seems to tire of the feed quicker than she was before. She is currently fed 3 Times daily, is this enough?
Also I have let her try a bit of grated apple and mashed banana (just off my finger) just to introduce fruit to her. Is this okay?
I also left some millet in her "nest" with her for the first time today and she was dry interested in it, but is it safe for her to have? I'm not trying to wean her,
But want to make sure she has different things to try in the build up to weaning and with her not being so interested in her handraising mix.
And finally, am I able to add puréed apple to her handraising formula to entice her a bit more, or is this not a good idea?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards :)
This is the time where they do start losing interest in their formula so not to worry. Try keep up with the 3 feeds a day for another week though. Morning feeds will be the hardest at this time, lunch is better and supper time they eat with gusto.

At this age I usually start putting them in a cage during the day with a blanket so they can still hide if they please. I also cook mixed veggies(sweetcorn, peas, carrots) and place it in a colouful container so it interests them so they can start exploring, or you can grate apple or carrot up for him/her. They then go back in the box at night. Fresh fruit/veg must be placed in every day.

By 6 weeks the bird can stay in the cage all the time but cover the cage at night(weather providing) and you can start introducing a seed or pellet mix into the cage as well. You can drop to 2 feeds a day.

By 7weeks you can now introduce water to the cage and if you see your baby is eating you may find he has lost even more interest in his formula. He/she should also be starting to take his/her first flights.

By 8-9weeks you should be on 1 feed a day slowly making your way to completely weaned, although they still love the odd feed from you for some time after they are weaned. It becomes a treat for them :)

I cook apple, sweet potatoe and butternut and blits it altogether and use this as a night time treat for all my babies(3-5weeks at present) and feed it to them using a spoon. They absolutely love it. In the 1 batch I did I even added samp and beans. I would not mix it with the formula though, I would keep them as 2 separate items and feed them 1 after the other(like we have supper and then pudding) and do it as a 50/50 ratio.

I hope this info helps.

Best of luck :)
Carmen
Brookie87

Post by Brookie87 »

Thank you so much Carmen, the information you have provided me with puts my mind at ease and has given me an understanding of what to expect in the next few weeks. I really can not thank you enough :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Not a problem :) Glad I could help :)
cspiteri85

Post by cspiteri85 »

Hi, I just got a 3 week blue ringneck, and the breeder gave me powdered food to mix with lukewarm water and feed through a syringe. I am just wondering how much to give him as he told me to feed him three times a day, but when feeding time comeshis crop is still not completely empty. And also, can I give him some other food, like pureed baby food, just so that he doesn't get bored with the same food. Thanks :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi cspiteri85

The amount generally varies slightly on the bird. When you feel the crop it should feel full but not bursting from the seams. At about 3 weeks they are eating around 8-12mls. It would be best if the crop empties(during the day not so serious but it must over night). In the morning it must be empty. If food stays in the crop for too long a period it can lead to a very sick bird.

Feeding the bird baby food is not a bad idea, rather go for cooked fruits and veg that have been pureed. They love that :)

All the best :)

P.S. What handrearing formula are you using?
shamz7

Post by shamz7 »

I have 3 week old ringnecks and I don't know when to stop feeding them they do eat between 8 to 12 mls but sometimes it looks like ther bag is going to burst and that scares me. I also feed them between 3-4 hours. Please help me.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi, if it looks like the crop is going to burst, do not feed it any more. Stretching the crop can lead to crop infections. Keep to what you are doing, it is good that the crop empties between feeds. As it gets older, you can drop to 3 feeds and increase quantities.

Take care
Carmen
shamz7

Post by shamz7 »

Thanx so much carmen that really helps. What about the night feeds? I really appreciate the help as it is my 1st time handraising my ringnecks.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

What are your feeding times at present?
shamz7

Post by shamz7 »

It ends up being at 9 and then at 12 at night and at 3.. Then at 6 in the morning
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

If you want to continue with 4 feeds a day, try:
6am
11am
4pm
9pm

When it is 4 weeks old, feed it 3 times a day:
7am
1pm
7pm
(At 5 weeks start placing baby in the cage with Seeds/pellets/fruit and veg, during the day, at night back in the box)

At 6 weeks roughly, feed twice a day, morning and evening. If you feel your baby can stay in the cage, cover it so no draughts can get in at night.

At 8 weeks roughly, your baby should be on 1 feed.

By 10 weeks roughly it should be weaned. However, if this is not the case, do not be discouraged, some just take a little longer than others.

These are just guidelines, you do not need to follow them exactly, watch how your baby reacts and behaves. Every bird is an individual and will progress at its own pace.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and take care :)
shamz7

Post by shamz7 »

Thank you soo much I really appreciate the help and guidelines..:).
shamz7

Post by shamz7 »

Hi.. I hav a question again. 1 of my birds is not pooping solid its jus letn out water and slpn the whole day. What do I do?
NayJoeDex27

Post by NayJoeDex27 »

Hi, I am new to handraising IRN, I got a 4 week old today... I have some formula mix that the breeder had made along with some baby food veg & fruit... what I was wondering is if I was to buy fresh fruit & veg, boil it, blitz it would i be able to freeze it & just use enough for the day? I want the best for my new feathered baby :D

also finding this forum really helpful & interesting :)