Do u?

Moderator: Mods

DOCH

Do u?

Post by DOCH »

Do you cover your bird cage at nite?, are you suppose to or doesnt it matter? response on your experiences will be very much appreciated
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I definately cover. It has them quietly amuzing themsleves in the mornings until I wake them up, by taking the covers off.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

indie used to be covered until he started amusing himself by getting the cover to fall on the ground and opening the cage then coming up to the bedroom and waking us up.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

No cage covering here.

I love these debates... this one and wing clipping. lol

They get all heated
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

they do ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I cover my babies at night. I feel that where I live covering them also helps to keep them warm at night.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Nope Prinny would get all offended and upset if I ever tried covering her. I have a little spoiled Princess here so what she wants goes or we all get an ear full!

Dani and Prinny
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

ducky doesn't sleep in her cage she likes the High branch by the ceiling to sleep so I let her grr him..... still stuck on that one
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Datsun is a busy body, she wants to know everything thats going on so we cover all our babies or she would be up all night gossiping with the others!

I have them all in my living area so we cover them so they can get some peace, generally the little two go straight to sleep, but Dats likes to sing her songs and chat for a bit first.
-Chamon-

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I dont cover my ringnecks. But I guess you could say I cover my suns.
When we lived with my mum they used to sleep under a cloth over the curtain. So I leave a sheet over the cage all the time. dont ask me why a nailed a cloth over the curtain. I dont remember heh.

Sorry the point to that is I cover them because they feel secure and they like hiding under it. Not because I want to quiet them to make them sleep.
sooty

Post by sooty »

I only cover in winter because it gets cold in my house at night.
Cathy
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Erm, I cover half the cage? But not for my ringnecks LOL.

The birds who's cages back against the outside wall get the back half of the cage covered, to prevent chills.

I don't cover anyone all the way.

Oh, wait, unless they are sick. Sick birds are covered to help maintain a hot cage while they are under treatment.

Athena
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

According to research, you arent 'suppose' to cover an IRN's cage but my take on this is:

It is your bird and only you know what will or wont make your bird feel its best. I would do what made mine happiest. Regardless of 'guidelines' on caring for ringnecks.
~ Mikaela Sky

~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

just curious Mikaela, why aren't you supposed to cover them? I cover both Lou and my budgies... I do it because it's freezing here and for security reasons! lol maybe my own security?lol. the little guys usually will be quiet once covered. Lou is like Dats, he likes to chatter and then will snooze
~the stubborn one~
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

i only cover bubba to keep him quiet he will stay up and make noise if i dont but i dont cover the rest they sleep just fine without one
Xenobia

Post by Xenobia »

Busey's cage has "curtains" that we shut when he goes to bed so we don't wake him up with lights, etc. And also for a little warmth.

We put him on his cage when it's bedtime and shut the curtains on three sides. He puts himself to bed after grooming a bit and then we go and shut the cage door and the other side of the curtain when he's all snuggled up on his boing for bedtime. :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

I don't cover since Hane isn't noisy in the morning nor is he in any kind of draft during the night.

My sister half cover's her IRN's cage since that part gets hit by the air-conditioning vent in her room. And Tsume prefers the shelter (he's a more timid bird).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
berrynice
Member on Probation

Post by berrynice »

Bhanu isn't covered and for the first week he had a night light. Apparently from what I've read IRNs are notorios for night flight problems. Our night routine is night, night (verbal) and the lounge light is turned off. I have kids so routine is instilled in the feather and fur members of the family too.
silvercloud

Post by silvercloud »

I have been covering Sunshine's cage as well as my budgies and rainbow lorikeets as they are all in the lounge room and I don't go to bed til really late so the lights are on half the night.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

I cover half the cages just to keep out draft. they will sleep in when they want, but I'm always up at 5:30am so they usually are up at that time now too!
red192

Post by red192 »

So glad Scarley doesn't entertain herself Like Indie up there. Working nights, and sleeping days, it was almost impossible to keep her quiet while I tried sleeping. So we agreed on keeping her cage half covered, but opened, she was free to flock her room and she was happy and quiet and I got to sleep.
Terri & Geoff
and all 16 FIDS
curamba

Post by curamba »

i dont cover the cage of my IRN since here in my country got a tropical climate, instead i place a light (6 in the evening until the next morning @ 5am) during night time to avoid night frights (placing the light over the roof of the cage this allow my IRN to sleep).
Ed Loschi

seems to prefer being covered

Post by Ed Loschi »

Bebe gets covered at night. He seems to prefer being covered. When he's covered he sleeps on a specific perch in his cage. On the rare instance I don't get the cover on him he sleeps in a 'birdy buddy' like thing I made out of an old towel.