Transitioning to pellets

Moderator: Mods

tonian2

Transitioning to pellets

Post by tonian2 »

Hellooo. So after reading a few wonderfully informative posts Im going to retry the transition from seed to pellet. I gave up last time because I thought my Rafiki was starving himself in protest but didnt take into consideration that he was still eating his daily fruit n veg (not to mention my toast and coffee)!

I've had a look around my local pet store and could only really see the vetafarm brand of pellets. Being a huge store I got no assistance to I did a bit of reading and saw that the nutriblend was recommended for Asiatic parrots.

Is anyone using Vetafarm? How do you find it? And does your parrot like it?

Im getting death stares from him now Im sure lol
julie

Re: Transitioning to pellets

Post by julie »

I live near the vetafarm factory :) I use nutriblend for mine aswell as seeds and fruits and veg. My guys all seem to eat it with no problems. I think the colors of the pellets is appealing to them, just remember that the pellets will go further than seeds in that they expand in the belly so even though it looks like he hasnt had much it may be more than first thought. Putting some fruit juice on the pellets may help if he doesnt take to them straight away. I found with the stubborn ones that if I soaked the pellets and made them mushy that I could mix seeds into the mush and if they wanted the seeds out they had to dig through the pellets,this way they are still getting the taste of the pellets even though they are trying to get seeds.
julie

Post by julie »

I noticed the birds seem to have a nice shiny look to them when they have the pelets too.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I use vetafarm. My guys mostly eat fruit and veg though. I alternate between the brown ones and the multi-coloured ones. I don't feed them any seed other than as a reward.

Ellie.