Throwing seed!

Moderator: Mods

sean080181

Throwing seed!

Post by sean080181 »

Hi all, well first post time.

I am trying to give my Alexandrine a balanced diet but he refuses to eat any seeds other than sunflower seeds!! Ive taken them out of the mix and he just puts his beak in and throws the other seeds out to the cage floor!!

Also the pet shop said I can only leave veg in the cage for 3 hours at a time?? Is this right
ellieelectrons

Re: Throwing seed!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi and welcome!

All birds will throw seed on the floor but he is probably eating some as well... although he may be trying to rifle through it to find the sunflower seeds. Eventually he should learn that there aren't any in there and hopefully that behaviour will settle down. If it's really worrying you, you could try putting the seed in a new container so that your bird sees the seed without the sunnies as a "different food source" and maybe the throwing the seed on the floor behaviour might minimise?

Another thought, if your bird is throwing seed on the floor because it's bored, you could try giving it shredding toys - mine like small chunks of wood to shred. Some birds like paper or raffia.
sean080181 wrote:Also the pet shop said I can only leave veg in the cage for 3 hours at a time?? Is this right
I'm presuming the 3 hours is because the veges might go off? Do you live in a hot climate? I leave my veges in their cage for longer.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
sean080181

Post by sean080181 »

Hey thanks for the reply, yeah I live up in townsville so thats probably it but it is winter so only gets to about 28-30 at the moment
julie

Post by julie »

It depends where you get your fruit from too,places like supermarkets get them frozen and once taken out of the shop temps they dont tend to last very long. If the fruit starts to smell off take it out. They will throw just about everything out of the bowl or pick it up and then throw it cause they noticed something else or are looking for something else. One of my avairy irns throws seed at me, he looks straight at me and gives me a telling off and then swipes his head sideways through his bowl and tries to hit me with the food. He also bites me on the bum :oops: first chance he gets.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

julie wrote:He also bites me on the bum :oops: first chance he gets.
lol - that's very cheeky.