Weight

Moderator: Mods

Tikobird

Weight

Post by Tikobird »

hi i have an 8 week old IRN and i want to know what weight he should be, i haven't weighed him yet simply because im scared hes unhealthy but i do want to know because ill be adding things to fatten him up if he underweight and if hes over weight im going to lesson his intake, i doubt he overweight though cos he doesn't eat lot all the time sometimes hell eat heaps and other times he'll have a mouthful, this also worries me oh and he started flying last week
julie

Re: Weight

Post by julie »

I can honestly say I have never weighed any of mine. They drop weight to fledge ect so its hard to tell why they may have dropped or gained.
Tikobird

Post by Tikobird »

this is my first bay, he seems healthy, is always preening moving and making noises and doesn't hesitate to tell me hes hungry he is eating lori pellets by him self and cant quite break seed and before hes full he has between 1 or medicine cups ( he refuses the spoon now)
julie

Post by julie »

why lorri pellets? hes an irn isnt he?
Melika

Post by Melika »

You should already be weighing him if you're set up to do so (I myself have never weighed). If he's steadily gaining then you know there is nothing to worry about. There is an expected drop at fledgling age, as julie said, so factor that in as well. The longer you wait to begin charting weight, the less you have as a record to accurately tell you if you baby is healthy or not.

For instance, if you only weigh the last two days and there seems to be a significant difference in weight, what does that tell you? It could be a sick bird, perhaps user error, or an ill-calibrated scale. But how will you know based just off two days? It won't tell you anything unless you have a long record showing weight increases or decreases.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Tikobird

Post by Tikobird »

julie wrote:why lorri pellets? hes an irn isnt he?

yes that does sound wierd but my lorri doesnt eat them and he loves them haha they are apple flavoured

Tiko can now eat seed he loves the sunflower seeds which worries me and has a nibble on the corn hes gettin fruit everyday again (had a small case of the runs starting to show) and hes haveing his but only on his head and is loving to bite me haha only grazed the skin 2 now but man can he hurt :)