How much vegetable and fruit?

Moderator: Mods

Kar91

How much vegetable and fruit?

Post by Kar91 »

Hi everyone, I do not have an IRN yet but will be acquiring a fully weaned baby in a while.
I have been doing a lot of research and would like for my bird to have the best diet possible.
I would like to know everything I can before I get my bird, so that I can provide him with all he/she needs. :)

While most of the posts here have informed me of what kinds of fruits and vegetables they can eat, and the ratio of vegetables to fruits, none of them have actually said how much should be given. I most likely would be feeding the veggies/fruit twice a day (morning and late afternoon, with seed or pellets in the cage all day, rotating them). Could anyone give me an approximate measurement (in cups?) of how much vegetables and fruit to give them?

Thanks in advance,
Karolina :D
Bernard Jacobsz

Re: How much vegetable and fruit?

Post by Bernard Jacobsz »

Hi, I don't think there is a measurement for this as you need to use your discretion on this.

I normally just throw a few carrots in my cage for all the youngsters. (20 birds between 6 months and 1 year)
The next day I'll just throw in a few peas and watermelon pieces.
The day after I'll just leave them.
I Also throw in sprouts and pellets during the week.
Bernard Jacobsz
http://www.birds4sale.co.za
South Africa
julie

Post by julie »

They dont have to have fruit and veg everyday.I would start off using fruit as a taming reward,use it to bond with your bub. Dont worry im sure you will be fine.
amber211

Post by amber211 »

wat if i crnt get my birds to eat veggies any sort they wont touch even if i feed it to them in my hand they just dont want to eat it my birds are 6weeks and 11 weeks both still taking fomula the 11week old only wants it coz the baby is but its never any more then 3 mouthfuls at a time
AiSell

Post by AiSell »

I think that ones a week is a normal, you need to be careful with nuts too.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Kar91 wrote:Hi everyone, I do not have an IRN yet but will be acquiring a fully weaned baby in a while.
I have been doing a lot of research and would like for my bird to have the best diet possible.
I would like to know everything I can before I get my bird, so that I can provide him with all he/she needs. :)

While most of the posts here have informed me of what kinds of fruits and vegetables they can eat, and the ratio of vegetables to fruits, none of them have actually said how much should be given. I most likely would be feeding the veggies/fruit twice a day (morning and late afternoon, with seed or pellets in the cage all day, rotating them). Could anyone give me an approximate measurement (in cups?) of how much vegetables and fruit to give them?

Thanks in advance,
Karolina :D

First, I know this is old. (Holy post revival Batman!) But I really like this question.

I never limited the amount I gave Hane when it came to fruits and veggies. The more he eats of those, the happier I am. I would just give him enough that he wouldn't quite run out by the time I removed the food. That amount will change depending on your bird and that is why I never listed a measured amount to give. Your IRN won't get fat off veggies and fruits, so give him all he wants. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay prefers fruit and veg with the addition of walnuts and roasted peanuts in their shells. I thread whole large chilli peppers on to bamboo skewers with a peg at the base to stop them sliding off, and hang them up for him to forage for the seeds, and do the same with fruit. He also has sweetcorn cobs, broccoli and bitter melon. Ratio wise he probably gets 60;40, as I prefer him to have plenty of fresh produce daily, this includes papaya or small melon or gourd, he loves to forage anything with seeds. Oh, and he is given this daily. He likes a piece of ginger and a cinnamon stick to nibble, usually once a week.