What age to buy a ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Theressa

What age to buy a ringneck

Post by Theressa »

Goo day everyone

I need help please.

We had a ringneck who passed away about a month ago.I miss him so much,and had never seen such an intelligent bird. i cant see myself without a ringneck in my life and want to keep my next ringneck for life..

Would someone help me,i want to buy a ringneck at a young age,as they are easier to teach.Well that is what i heard."Dont know how true it is though". but im also scared,if you dont feed them right they might die due to incorrect feeding etc(that is what i read). The breeders tells me that it is easy,you only need to feed 3 times a day,and that they wont die easily.So im quite confused at this stage.It feels like im getting bombarded with information in all different directions and dont know what the correct information is.Secondly,our petshops in pretoria,south africa only sell the ringnecks at the age of 2+ years.Or you can buy them from breeders at the age of 3-4 weeks old and they sell out quite fast..I dont know at what age is the best to buy a ringneck

.I bought my ringneck(the one that passed away) from the petshop and he was only given seeds when i got him,and was told they can live from seeds. I did give my ringneck at night ,fruit and veg,but his main diet was seeds. There is only one vet who sees birds in pretoria,and they are really expensive.When my bird got sick i took him too the vet,but it was too late,he went for a blood transfusion,but didnt make.I blame myself,i should have done research before the time,but you think if you go to your pet shop they would give you reliable information. Well i guess to go on about whos fault it is not going to bring him back,its my fault because i didnt do my research correct.

What i know is,i want to do it right this time..I want my new ringneck to have a fulfilled life.

Can someone advise me at what age is best to buy a ringneck.
It would really help me.

Thank you.
Regards.
Theressa Esterhuizen
rod038

Re: What age to buy a ringneck

Post by rod038 »

Sorry to hear about your ringneck.
With all my Ringnecks the main part of their diet is seed and I also give them fresh fruit and veg daily. They breed and raise young on this diet. I dont think just a seed diet would kill him that quickly. They are a very resiliant bird.
The best age to by a Ringneck would be after it has been weaned either after hand raising or directly from the parents. It would be easy to hand raise if nothing went wrong but like most times, things can go wrong and this can be a problem.
If you do go down the path and have to hand raise yourself make sure the breeder takes you through the process and you understand. You will need to keep the chick warm cause at that age they will only have a few feathers appearing on the wings. Use the same food as was being used by the breeder. Make sure the breeder is going to be available to help you if you have problems.
Most ethical breeders would fully raise the chicks till they are weaned and hand them over once they are able to feed themselves.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Theressa

Both of my birds were handraised by the breeder along with their brothers and sisters and we got them when they were weaned and able to fly. Both of our birds are very tame although the second bird took a little more time to tame. From memory, I think that Janey was about 6 weeks old when we brought her home.

Ellie.
Theressa

Post by Theressa »

Hi Ellie and Rod

Thank you for your replies.It really helped

I bought my baby ringneck at 4 week. she/he is doing really good and is being spoilt rotten.
Im trying to get him to eat fruits and vegs and im not doing too bad. he/she is eating grated apple so we are going forward. :)

Thank you for your assitance i appreciate it tremendously.

Hope you guys have a fabulouse weekend.

Regards.
Theressa