Advise on a potentially sick birdie :(

Moderator: Mods

zivie17

Advise on a potentially sick birdie :(

Post by zivie17 »

My 3 year old female IRN Indi seems very dull. She is all puffed up and has just been sitting at the top of the cage most of the day not making too much noise. Indi has eaten a little today and has had fluid. She also did come down to the bottom of the cage to attack one of her foot toys a few times. Should I be looking at taking her to a vet now or just keeping a close eye on her?
SCB -SA

Re: Advise on a potentially sick birdie :(

Post by SCB -SA »

Is it breeding season by you? has she shown any sign in making a nest? laying an egg anything like that?
I know my females seem to go quiet and sit around all puffed up before laying....

If not, yes best to take her to a vet just in case.
zivie17

Post by zivie17 »

I'm not too sure when breeding season is? She doesn't seem to have made any signs of making a nest. I just put her out in the loungeroom with me this morning. Still sitting at the top of the cage, is clucking at me and playing with toys still.
I will see how she goes today, I will try and find a good avian vet to ring and see if I can get an appointment.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

It is breeding season now. I would just keep an eye on her. Make sure she is warm and still eating and drinking. If she still plays with her toys she must not be too bad. You know her best and if ever in doubt it wont hurt to get a vet to look at her.
Pete_and_meeks

Post by Pete_and_meeks »

our bird has just started having the same behavior today. he/she (not sure of the gender yet) is 6 months old and up until today has been fine, playing eating and grooming as normal. but just this afternoon he/she has just been sitting on the perch not moving around much a all and is slightly puffed up. he/she is still grooming and eating and has had some fluid today. what could this mean?
julie

Post by julie »

Is it getting cold where you are?
Pete_and_meeks

Post by Pete_and_meeks »

not really, but today he has been 100% back to normal. maybe he just had an upset tummy, yet he was still eating. we seem to think he went down hill after we fed him a green grape. i washed the grape before i gave it to him though. could it be that he is sensitive to green grapes? we hadnot tried him on them before.
julie

Post by julie »

I dont think he was sick, more resting and puffing up to be comfy. They do it a lot more when its getting colder or stormy.
AiSell

Post by AiSell »

Sometimes our birds aren't look well because of the weather or food. We have the same problems but I understand that problem was in a food.