extremely sick ringneck!! need urgent help!! =(

Moderator: Mods

rammonster

extremely sick ringneck!! need urgent help!! =(

Post by rammonster »

Hi,

I hate it when one of my pets is sick.. I just get so uneasy!! =( anyways, I have a 2 year old ringneck..
up until now she was never sick.. I got her when she was about 6 months old.. she is extremely tame and
even behaves herself around kids... She's never been a problem.

sadly,today morning i found her looking extremely dull (she usually starts singing at 6 and goes on until 8 )
I got her to step up on my hand and noticed that she weighed less and had very bad balance... =(
My grandma later told me that she was pooping more than usual and her feces were almost watery!!
I tried hand feeding her a mango.. she took a few bites but eventually threw it all up!!
I think she has diarrhea ... I'm devastated!! I cant even find an avian vet around here... I've been making
frantic phone calls all morning with no luck... I went to a local pet store and the guy over there says that olive oil works great..

Even though I want this to go away as fast as possible ,.... im looking for a second opinion... Is olive oil good?? and what other home remedies do you suggest!!

Any kind of help is appreciated! =)
rod038

Re: extremely sick ringneck!! need urgent help!! =(

Post by rod038 »

You need to keep the bird warm. It is important to keep it hydrated to and this may involve feeding water or a mixture of soft food through a crop needle. Even a normal vet should be able to assist you. The first 24 or 48 hours are the most important and birds can perish very quickly. Hope it goes well.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

And by the way, by keeping warm we mean a heat lamp (or just use a normal lamp) just give them space that they can get out of the heat if they want to.
Ring Neck

Post by Ring Neck »

Hows your ring neck doing? I would not give it olive oil. What would that do? If your ringneck was constipated than maybe that would help. I have never heard of giving olive oil to a sick bird before. I agree with keeping him warm. Can you hand feed him some baby food? I hope he is alright.
misty

Post by misty »

I would get her to a vet. Birds hide illness very well if she feels like she has lost weight then this can be urgent. Many things could be the cause. Don't take chanses. Don't use olive oil. could be some thing like Internal Parasites.
Has she had a change in diet lately? Does she have foam type toys?
Keep her warm. An with some thing like this I personaly would not try to treat over the counter.
Please lets us know how she is doing. An good luck. Hope all gos well.
Roxanne R

Post by Roxanne R »

:( I'm praying for your baby bird i know she 2 but she will always be your baby. i would go to any vet.you needs some real medical advise don't try to self cure your bird she's to precious to guest. Hope everything goes well.Please let us know wants going on.
misty wrote:I would get her to a vet. Birds hide illness very well if she feels like she has lost weight then this can be urgent. Many things could be the cause. Don't take chanses. Don't use olive oil. could be some thing like Internal Parasites.
Keep her warm. An with some thing like this I personaly would not try to treat over the counter.
Roxanne R

Post by Roxanne R »

:) How is your baby
? Please let me know
Roxanne R wrote::( I'm praying for your baby bird i know she 2 but she will always be your baby. i would go to any vet.you needs some real medical advise don't try to self cure your bird she's to precious to guest. Hope everything goes well.Please let us know wants going on.
misty wrote:I would get her to a vet. Birds hide illness very well if she feels like she has lost weight then this can be urgent. Many things could be the cause. Don't take chanses. Don't use olive oil. could be some thing like Internal Parasites.