How many times? Help needed!

Moderator: Mods

_Lady_Flame_

How many times? Help needed!

Post by _Lady_Flame_ »

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. How many times per day do you give your IRN some food? I was wondering if my feeding system is ok for Alex and thats why im asking for your opininon.

In the morning I give Alex fresh vegetables (sometimes including beens), in the afternoon i give him a "snack" like almonds and walnuts, eggs(twice per week) or corn(twice per week), in the evening i give him a little of fruits but not too much, and before he goes to sleep he likes to eat a bit of seeds.

Is it ok like this? I mean do I feed him too much? I was wondering if you leave the seeds inside the cage all day long? I dont want him to get "fat", i just want him to be healthy and pleased.

I asked my vet, but he just sold me some zupreem pallets (he said its better than seeds)....after reading some posts here i saw he was way wrong about my birds diet and i think he only wanted to sell some pallets and vitamins....

Help me out a little here please.
view my gallery of drawings and photographs on deviantart http://purebloodrose.deviantart.com/

rod038

Re: How many times? Help needed!

Post by rod038 »

My birds have seed all the time available in their cages. I use Budgie seed with 10% shell grit mixed in and give them sunflower seeds once a week seperately. If the Sunflower is mixed in they throw the rest of the seed out looking for it. Each non breeding pair get half a cup of seed per day. I feed them either fruit or vegetables in the morning. Either Apple, Pear, Corn, Broccoli, Chillies, Potato, Celery. eg A quarter of an apple per pair per day. If you dice it up like a fruit salad then you want about a quarter of a cup per pair per day. I also give them a soaked seed mix once a fortnight. They have cuttle fish bone, calcium blocks and fresh water always available. The food increases and changes slightly when birds are breeding. What your doing sounds like a good mix and if he seems healthy stick with it. Remove any uneaten fruit or vegetables daily..
Melika

Re: How many times? Help needed!

Post by Melika »

What you are doing sounds fine. I don't like leaving seed in all day, but that's because I have pellets instead. I fill a treat cup with seed a few times a week. If I left seed in all day my Hane would get fat quick! That bird seemingly never stops eating lol!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay