sleeping spots???

Moderator: Mods

jimmyjack

sleeping spots???

Post by jimmyjack »

okay, so this is sort of a bridge between housing and behaviour.

im going to get some happy huts/hammock sort of contraption. theyre fairly expensive so im sorried that they wont use them. salvador already has a makeshift hammock in his cage for the passed few days now, but has not slept in it at all, scarcely even stood in it.

instead he prefers to sleep in the corner of the cage above his food bowl, which means constant poop each morning. any ideas for trying to retrain him out of this corner, or better yet, into the hammock???
jimmyjack

Re: sleeping spots???

Post by jimmyjack »

PS

does anyone have a preference (or rather their bird) to birdy buddy or happy hut? or if you havent sampled the two, best for them to have something to sleep IN or sleep WITH?
neomymikey

Post by neomymikey »

never used them but they sound cute :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

I always provide a nice high sleeping perch, with just enough head room so they're not hunched over. Hane especially gravitates to a softer rope perch for sleeping. To keep him from sleeping in the corner, I would hang a big bulky toy there so he has no room. It has to be bulky enough that he wouldn't want to sleep on it. You can also cover just the top of the cage, making the entire thing feel more secure for him at night. :)

Some birds love the sleeping huts, some hate them. That will depend on your parrot. I haven't ever tried the buddy.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay