Diet and housing???? help im a newbie

Moderator: Mods

neomymikey

Diet and housing???? help im a newbie

Post by neomymikey »

I have had my irn for half a year nearly he is gorgeous he also came with a cockatiel they live in the same cage mikey is a bit of a bully but when they are separated they scream and screetch till they are reunited?????

I also have been feeding a parrot mix and a cockatiel mix and a cuttle fish in there cage the odd millet spray as a treat but i am not confident that i give them enough veg and fruit how much a day would you advise ??? and what veg and fruit??? at the moment i have been giving melon strawberrys blueberries apple bannas carrot pasta pease broclli but not everyday ??? is this ok?

Also mikey claws are quiet long they have two perches made of snady stuff to file them down but he scratches when he sits on my shoulder to the point of sometime drawing blood???
thanks x x
ellieelectrons

Re: Diet and housing???? help im a newbie

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi and welcome
neomymikey wrote:I have had my irn for half a year nearly he is gorgeous he also came with a cockatiel they live in the same cage mikey is a bit of a bully but when they are separated they scream and screetch till they are reunited?????
To be honest, I am surprised that the cockatiel is still alive if they have been sharing a cage. Although I guess each bird is an individual and maybe they get along ok? How do they go in separate cages but side by side do they still screech for each other?
neomymikey wrote:Also mikey claws are quiet long they have two perches made of snady stuff to file them down but he scratches when he sits on my shoulder to the point of sometime drawing blood???
We have a lot of natural branches (I believe thicker is better but we don't have the right tools to cut really thick ones), a natural branch swing and a concrete swing (our guys love the concrete swing) and I find that keeps their claws down reasonably well. I once read that some perches that say they are designed to keep their claws down actually have the opposite effect. Janey used to like sitting on rope perches and rope rings. I was advised to remove those as they don't help the nail situation.

I have had their nails filed but I would only do that as a last resort. You have to be careful not to file them back too far or they will have trouble gripping onto perches, etc. I haven't done it myself but had it done by vets.

Regarding fruit and veg, I give mine fruit and veg everyday but I don't know what the minimum is. I usually give them at least three different things and try to give them more veg than fruit.

Good luck.

Ellie.
neomymikey

Post by neomymikey »

thankyou for your reply !
Sods law today would be the day mikey attacked cassie :shock: just had to take her to vet no major damage just a couple of cuts and on anti biotics time for another cage!!!!!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Poor Cassie. Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

Ellie.