lice!!!!

Moderator: Mods

kimmy

lice!!!!

Post by kimmy »

arrrgghhhhhh i found lice or mites on yuffie last night, i've got no freaking idea how or where she even got them!!! she's an inside bird and my house is spotless seriously :/ my poor baby! does anyone know what i can use on her?? im going to the pet shop tomorrow, hopefully they have something! i'll be scrubbing her cage and throwing all her toys in the bin lol
dog_glenn123

Re: lice!!!!

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Kimmy,
If its a good pet shop then they will give you all the advise you need. Products etc.
You may be able to bath them in it too as long as you dont get it in there maouth or eyes.
Make sure all there food and water is out of the cage can make the birds sick or worse.

Make sure you wash the purch's as well as they will lay eggs on them too.

You may find that the toys you bought maybe the source of them (pet shop).

Get a spray that also kills the eggs you will get rid of the problem quiker.

Its a bit late at the moment but i will check what i use tomoro.

It may have also been bought in by the babies you hand raise. advise your breeders you get them from.

Good luck.

Thanks Glenn
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Was wondering, do you think he could have picked it up from the birds you were handraising? Perhaps the breeder has lice in his aviary?

Ellie.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

my budgies and conure had lice once.
i didnt have a clue how they got it, because i had no new birds and no new toys or perches.
i think maybe they come in from outside.
i got some spray stuff and that killed the lice quickly
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhhh well i checked the babies and i haven't found any lice on them which is strange! well i bought all her toys from bigw cause the petshop is ridiculous! thanks for your advice guys! on the perch?? hrm maybe thats where she has gotten them from then cause the last babies i did i had them in this cage and i took one of yuffies perches to put in there for them and i not long put it back in yuffs cage! do you although the babies have been gone for about 2 weeks now and i've only just bought the perch in! i dunno :/ ahhhh well hopefully by the end of the day they will be sorted out lol
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hey kimmy,

Also if you move your cages outside and wild birds come down to the cage they may pass it onto the cage and then onto the birds.

Just another thought.

Thanks Glenn
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

aahhhhhh well i have put her cage outside before so maybe! hrmmmm well i got some stuff, its aristopet bird mite and lice spray! the lady said i cant spray the babies with it though cause it'll irritate their skin because they aren't fully feathered yet. they are almost fully feathered, their back and chest feathers are just starting to come out.
chris&julie

Post by chris&julie »

What do they look like ? What colour are they ? What made you look ? Obviously itching but what else ?
We've had our birds a month now and they do scratch now and again ! I have always wondered !!!

Chris and Julie
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

uhmmm i think their are mites. they are brown and a whitey colour! i was cuddling her and i seen this mark behind her head, i thought it was seed or something but it was a mite lol it was really hard to get off her feather! well i've never really noticed her itching but ever since i seen the first one she's itching heaps. theres a link of them!

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/photos/mite_photos.htm
julie

Post by julie »

what about mice bringing them in? if the other cage is outside mice could have been running around in the cage.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

we don't get mice here! plus yuffie is never near the birds outside. argh i've sprayed the yuff and the babies and they still friggen have them argh i even sprayed the carpet, curtains and window sill where her cage sits. so annoying. do they bite humans? cause i have lumps all over my arms and i think its from them! jesus this is going to be so hard to get rid of them
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Oh dear crabs :mrgreen:

Yep they will bite humans but i dont think they will live on you. ?

How long does the spray say it will take to kill them? Could take weeks.!!

Ta Glenn
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My understanding is that human lice/mites won't live on birds and birdie lice/mites won't live on humans. They may hitch a ride for a short time but can't survive there because the conditions are wrong.

I've just noticed some little crawly things on the bench where I store a lot of my birds toys.... I guess I should check that they aren't on my birds too!

Ellie.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhhhhhhh thank GOD they are gone :] well i think they are haha i haven't seen any on them for awhile so im guessing the stuff worked. ahh i think they die with in 3 hours or something being off the bird? i dunno lol think thats what someone told me
tazysBABY

Post by tazysBABY »

omg.....even mines d same case, i never saw one in my irn's body which i have been hand raising n he is 2mnths old, i have small insects i dont know whether they are lies or something gets onto my face many a times, aaaaaaaah......i thought it mustve been from ma parrot but he looks innocent we keep him indoors....i m having itches as well..d insect is pretty tiny than a dot n is black and crawls too fast!!!! m gettin toooo scared!! u sure it would surely work, cos i am not sure does my irn actually hv a lice or the pigeon that built its nest over the AC in the balcony is the reason for this havoc!!!helppp...cn u get me a pic of a lice and a mite!:)