New Addition

Moderator: Mods

3tiels&aringneck

New Addition

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

We decided to take in Joey's brother. Although they had seen each other a few times, I am wondering if I will be able to cage them together. I have had Sammie (the new bird) in a separate cage next to Joey's for 2-3 weeks now. Because Joey has been with me longer, he tries to be bossy with Sammie. Sammie will argue back though. They are only caged up at night and when we leave the house.

Because they like to pick at each other outside the cage, would it be safe for them to be in the same cage. I really wanted to have them together as Joey has a nice BIG cage and I don't have much more room for another cage in the room i am using.

Both birds are about 9 months old and are both males.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
Melika

Re: New Addition

Post by Melika »

Hane and Tsume would fight as Hane was always bossy to Tsume. They were brothers as well. This intensified once they became of breeding age. They were caged separately and they only place they got along was on the playstand... sort of. Hane would boss him around there too,

The sisters from a later clutch (all were kept by the owners) were all housed together and quibbled all the time. Some fights were more serious than others. They also never became extremely tame.

All these birds were hand-fed.

Not saying they can't get along together. But I know Tsume would have been miserable had they been required to share a cage. The sisters would have been more tame to humans had they been housed separately.

Those are just my experiences. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
bec

Post by bec »

when i got our second irn i slowly introduced them
with kieron in a seperate cage this worked well for a while till one day i got up to put them to bed & they were both in rikus cage this worked for them
not all birds do like sharing their cage though
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I think I'm just going to keep them separate. They pick with each other too much outside the cage. Really, my birds are only in cages at night. I may have to get a little bigger cage for Sammie, but for now I think he's fine.

He is coming around though. He will now get on my hand and step up, as well as take food from my hand. I also can rub his head, which is more than I can do with his brother who has lived with me along. I'm so happy with what I have accomplished with him so far.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)