Molting supplements

Moderator: Mods

Poppy

Molting supplements

Post by Poppy »

My female IRN is now 2 1/2 years old and she has obviously molted before but this year she looks particularly bad!

I know as soon as her molt is finished she will look like her good old self but I fell very sorry for her at the moment. I have added a powdered supplement to her daily water called AviMolt which she clearly thinks is poison because she hates the stuff! Is there any natural alternative to the water supplement i can giver her for a boost? like fruits etc that are good for this?

The lady i got her from told me that when they molt they often feel almost like they have flu and can be very miserable which she definitely is at the moment. She is very moody and nippy at times and a real cranky old woman! her new feathers are coming through though so im hoping it will be finished in the next few weeks or so.

Any ideas?

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
ellieelectrons

Re: Molting supplements

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sorry, none from me... I just let them look raggedy... Janey (my female blue IRN about the same age as yours) looks particularly bad at the moment!

I'd never heard the comment about feeling like they "have the flu" before, thanks for sharing that... Janey is a bit nippy too at the moment - might be the same problem!

Ellie.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I think what she means by 'like the flu' is grumbly and quiet and wanting to be alone in his/her own space. Which can definitely happen!

Since feathers are made of protein, I like to feed a little more protein during a moult by feeding cooked eggs (including shell) as well as cooked beans and brown rice. Hane gets lots of veggies, as usual.

Personally I stay way from vitamin additives, I just like natural stuff better.

Here is a nice little article: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww20e.htm
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

i always stay away from the additives too. Some aloe vera juice mixed with water in a spray bottle may help with the discomfort.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Our avian vet also didn't like additives... he thought that if they have a good diet, they don't need them.

He recommended a bit of egg.... and a small amount of chicken (!) during the moult. I feel very guilty feeding them chicken (not too much of course!) but they love it!

Ellie.