Birdie Beverages

Moderator: Mods

violet

Birdie Beverages

Post by violet »

Hi there,

this may seem like an odd question, but I cant find an answer on Google so I thought I would ask here. And if there is a topic that covers this please forgive me as I did search but couldnt find anything.

I drink green tea and have just found out that Pakshi also likes to drink it. He has sat on my tea cup and dips his head in and drinks the tea. The tea is 100% green tea, nothing else added. He also drank it when it was warm and wasnt bothered. I let him have a few drinks but stopped him, even though he wants to drink more.

My questions is, what can an IRN drink? Is it safe for him to drink green tea? only a small amount I wouldnt give it to him regularly.

I appreciate any help given =)

xx Vi
Tweet Tweet @IamANerdyChick
SkyesMom

Re: Birdie Beverages

Post by SkyesMom »

I would say only if it's decaffeinated. Caffeine is toxic to our FIDs. (That's what I hear, anyway.)
Dana
hisandy

Post by hisandy »

Thank you for this question, I too have wondered this. My IRN loves fresh squeezed juice and our smoothies. Can they smell it as we are squeezing the fruit?
violet

Post by violet »

Hi dana,

Thanks for your reply - I figured caffeine was bad. As far as I can see the packet says 100% green tea. If there were to be caffeine in the tea, it would be a very minute amount. Pakshi only has a few sips before I take it away.

Hisandy - I would also like to know. Can we give them fresh squeezed juice? And can they drink milk? I did see in the What to Feed Your FID that yogurt was included as ok to give, so I assume milk would be ok too??

xx Vi
SkyesMom

Post by SkyesMom »

You would actually be surprised to know that there is actually almost as much caffeine in green tea as there is in coffee. I would suggest getting some decaffeinated green tea.
Dana
violet

Post by violet »

Thanks for that Dana

TBH I had no idea green tea contained so much caffeine. However I found that decaffeinated green tea looses some of its good antioxidants etc so I think I will stick to normal green tea myself - and tell Pakshi he isn't allowed it, altho I am sure he will be annoyed at me ^^

Does anyone know if FID's can drink anything else aside from water? I assume that if you squeeze the fruit yourself that would be fine as they would ingest the juice when eating the fruit anyway.

I would be interested to know if they can drink milk.

xxVi
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i would suggest absolutely NOT giving your bird dairy. dairy contains bacteria and other properties that we as humans can barely tolerate (and alot of us can't!). It would be unwise and risky to feed this to your bird.

caffeine does kill birds. when with her last owner, my irn's partner was killed when the bastard fed them redbull as a joke (hence why she is now mine!).

fruit juice would be fine, especially if its freshly squeezed. They normally suck all the liquid from the fruit you probably give them anyway. you could even dilute the juice so they are still getting more water than juice.

iggy pop loves hopping up on our glasses to have a drink, no matter what it is. i think the behaviour is more so the mimicking of our action and their intense need to consume (just as with eating in front of your bird, they become very curious as to what you are eating, and may want to try...)
violet

Post by violet »

Ok now I am confused.

I have just re-read the thread "what to feed your FID" and it states that yogurt is ok to give to them.

As yogurt is a dairy product, why can you give them that but not milk?

I dont plan on feeding Pakshi milk products, but he has eaten some yogurt and was fine.

Can someone please clear this up - can out FID's consume dairy products in moderation?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Our birds do not produce lactase, the enzyme to break down lactose, themselves. That is why dairy is bad. Basically your bird is lactose intolerant.

While yogurt is fermenting, a lot of the lactose is digested by the beneficial bacteria into lactic acids. Also, the starter cultures produce lactase which makes yogurt a more easily digestible form of dairy.

It is a good source of protein and calcium, but as always in moderation.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
violet

Post by violet »

Thank you Melika for answering the question ^^
SkyesMom

Post by SkyesMom »

Skye appears to like Vanilla Soy Milk, if that matters. :) But only when I am drinking it. Is that okay for her have?
Dana
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

by the way, i couldnt help but reading this forum and thinking 'its amazing what we do for our babies...'

if this is how i get with my pets, imagine me with my own child :P and im sure im not alone
Melika

Post by Melika »

SkyesMom wrote:Skye appears to like Vanilla Soy Milk, if that matters. :) But only when I am drinking it. Is that okay for her have?
Dana
Soy isn't bad from a dairy standpoint.

I don't like most soy products because it is unfermented. Unfermented soy has a interesting compounds called isoflavones that your body can change into estrogens. Soy milk in particular contains phytates that block mineral uptake. For a human, a little glass of milk isn't much but I wonder how much it could be to a parrot's system? Do their bodies convert the compounds into estrogens like ours do? What effect does an estrogen imbalance have on a parrot? How does it affect their mineral balance? How much unfermented soy is okay? I don't know.

Well, I did a few google searches and came across these:
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/01introduction.htm
http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/index ... icle_22/92

HOWEVER the 'phytoestrogens' people spout off about are from genetically modified soybeans. Dr. Harrison made a nice little statement (Harrison's Pellets contain organic soy) with a few links to some interesting papers as well: http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered ... isons.html

I do know: organic does not always mean genetically un-modified. Whether or not unfermented soy has an effect on our birds (and ourselves) or not is highly debatable.

It is up to choice really, there is so much we do not know. What about the pesticides on our foods? Vaccines? Microchips in our pets? Plastics? Soap residue? How do we know if things are truly 'bird-safe'; or does that just mean the bird's system can tolerate a minor level of toxicity?

Everything in moderation.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
asifden

Post by asifden »

I really like this subject. Could you tell me more …

Beverages
Night

Post by Night »

I have ready that they are Lactose intolerant. I am also lactose intolerant and drink only lactose free milk. I saw my IRN jump at the opportunity to drink my milk, is it ok if he drinks it when it is Lactose free?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves a nibble of organic Greek yogurt with honey, but only a nibble. I regularly give him fresh herbs, Dill, and Coriander, so I don't understand how herbal teas, made from an infusion could possibly contain caffeine, indeed, I drink herbal tea before bed exactly for the reason they don't contain caffeine. We gave our dogs herbal tea, a nervous or hyperactive dog would have hop and valerian, as would a nervous one, my pregnant females, raspberry leaf, they loved them. An anecdote seeing as microchipping was mentioned, we were in the vets waiting room, when a guy entered with a large GSD, the dog had a nasty abcess on his shoulder, this burst whilst they were waiting, and the veterinary nurse found a microchip in the debris when she cleaned it up. Fortunately, we had our dogs tattooed and registered, it's a different method to human tattooing, certainly not as painful. But I would never advocate micro chipping after witnessing that!.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves a nibble of organic Greek yogurt with honey, but only a nibble. I regularly give him fresh herbs, Dill, and Coriander, so I don't understand how herbal teas, made from an infusion could possibly contain caffeine, indeed, I drink herbal tea before bed exactly for the reason they don't contain caffeine. We gave our dogs herbal tea, a nervous or hyperactive dog would have hop and valerian, as would a nervous one, my pregnant females, raspberry leaf, they loved them. An anecdote seeing as microchipping was mentioned, we were in the vets waiting room, when a guy entered with a large GSD, the dog had a nasty abcess on his shoulder, this burst whilst they were waiting, and the veterinary nurse found a microchip in the debris when she cleaned it up. Fortunately, we had our dogs tattooed and registered, it's a different method to human tattooing, certainly not as painful. But I would never advocate micro chipping after witnessing that!.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »