WEANING

Moderator: Mods

Fiorella

WEANING

Post by Fiorella »

Hi everyone :) I got my Indian Ringneck about 3 weeks ago. S/he is now 13 weeks old and still not fully weaned, s/he can eat on it's own and does, regularly, but still screams for the formula twice a day (at about 11AM and 8PM, it used to be more) is s/he not a little old to still be wanting hand feedings?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!!!
333greenbean333

Re: WEANING

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
By now she should not be having handfed food.
I would be encouraging it to eat mushed fruit and vegies along side with seed and pellets. rice is also great
David :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Melika

Post by Melika »

Every bird will be different. I find this article to be helpful. http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww4e.htm
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Fiorella

Post by Fiorella »

Thank you so much :)
julie

Post by julie »

my 10+ yr old irn indie has taken to handfeeding and my handraised alexandrian who is 3 likes a feed too. They try to get whatever they can :D a distraction at the usual feeding time may help.
julie

Post by julie »

I have noticed with my ones im hand feeding at the moment, the youngest makes the same noises at me to be taken out and wants my attention. I speciffically took note that the crop was pretty full from my hubby feeding them before i got up, so it wasnt wanting a feed. could it be the same with yours?
Fiorella

Post by Fiorella »

@Julie: Really?? That is the strangest thing! At first I thought she was screeching to be taken out but then she sits on my hand looking at me expectantly and bobbing her head up and down like she wants a feed,still screeching, then will only quieten down once I give her one, yet she pigs out on her food bowl throughout the day as well. I've found recently that if I give her one feed a day -which I'm now doing after having read that article-, she's really pleasant and sweet and only makes her cute little noises instead of the awful screechy one... But still, I don't know if it's bad to keep indulging her with these feedings when she's supposed to be "growing up" now and strange that her instincts haven't made her stop.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm obviously a proponent of feeding until the bird decides it is done. But perhaps there are a few things that will help. For instance, do you feed other foods from your hands or just formula? Try some warm mash? Are you allowing your bird to fledge properly (they usually begin refusing food in order to lose weight for flying)?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay