Can i wash a baby bird?

Moderator: Mods

tweet

Can i wash a baby bird?

Post by tweet »

Hi, i have two 8 week old baby IRN.
I want to know whether it is safe to wash them because they a little dirty from pooping alot :D
I was thinking, that maybe the chemicals in the water may be too strong for them? or maybe they might catch a cold - their immune system may be still weak? I don't know.

Has anyone washed theirs? maybe with a damp cloth? And is it safe to do so?

Thanks. Sorry i posted this in the wrong category. I'm quite new to this :)
xx_sheena_xx

Re: Can i wash a baby bird?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i havent really washed a baby bird but i have cleaned them.
i used a damp paper towel that i dipped in luke warm water and wiped them with it
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I wouldn't wash them! They might catch a cold at that young age and their preening skills are not yet developed.

As adults they LOVE a bath of spray with a water bottle (I use the hose pipe on gently and mine will sit for hours under the sprinkler!) but as a baby i used cotton wool pads soaked and gently squeezed out with warm water (not to hot or you may burn them) and wipe them down. I wiped the face after every feed because she neded up with formula everywhere and around the bum if need be but try not to "soak" the bird, just wipe.

Food around the face can go hard and rot and I found that the luke warm water gentle lossened it and never made her too wet.

As an adult now, after her "bath" with the hose or bottle i make sure she gets some sun (not too much) and stays out the draft. She will preen herself as an adult and get dry in no time - a baby doesnt have those skills. So stick with the warm water and cotton wool or a soft cloth :) it's important to keep them clean at that age

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
julie

Post by julie »

wipe them over with a warm damp cloth.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Yes! :D 8)

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
freetarot2

Post by freetarot2 »

You can be use it clean cloth with dry wash. it is safety of side effect on IRN.