crepe myrtle tree

Moderator: Mods

3tiels&aringneck

crepe myrtle tree

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I can find it anywhere, but i was wondering if anyone knows whether or not crepe myrtle branches are ok to use as perches for my birds. I am cutting down a crepe myrtle and have some branches that would make great perches to put in my birds' cages. I googled online and couldn't find crepe myrtle on the good or bad list.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
Melika

Re: crepe myrtle tree

Post by Melika »

Myrtle is toxic, but crape myrtle is safe. :)

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/ ... birds.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
3tiels&aringneck

thanks for the info and the web site. I was talking to somebody at a bird show last weekend that said it was ok to use, but to let the branches sit for a year before using or bake in an oven to get any diseases off of it. Who has an oven big enough for a big tree branch, I know I don't. I think I more afraid of my birds getting mites or something from the wild birds.
Image Bullet
3tiels&aringneck

I guess I'm too paranoid to use fresh branches. I'll just continue to buy from my local pet store.
Image Bullet
Melika

Post by Melika »

You may face the same problems buying from any pet store/bird fair/market that has birds in it as well. Especially birds that commonly carry diseases like cockatiels. But I'm more paranoid about buying from pet stores than using outside branches LOL!

You can also wash using a mild soap and scrub brush, thoroughly rinse, then allow to completely dry in the sunlight. The sun is a great germ killer. This is for both branches from pet stores or ones you cut yourself. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay