Fruitflies........

Moderator: Mods

thebends2000

Fruitflies........

Post by thebends2000 »

I have only had my parrot about a month. But I am finding I cant get rid of the fruit flies. I have taken the cage outside and washed it with a hose a number of times.......I give my parrot fresh fruit and vegtables, so I am not sure what to do. How do the rest of you deal with this? Thanks..........
ellieelectrons

Re: Fruitflies........

Post by ellieelectrons »

The only thing I can think to do is only have the fruit and veg in the cage for a limited amount of time (eg. one - two hours)... so long as it is approximately the same times every day, the birds will get used to it.

I must admit that I tend to leave mine in the cage on a kebob stick for 24 hours unless the weather is hot and the food will spoil... maybe not the most hygienic way to do it but it seems to work ok.

Ellie.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

I have the same problem and it drives me crazy...!
I tried everything to keep them away but not spraying they with fly killer of course not good for the FID at ALL!!

So I guess I reduced myself as Ellie said to leaving it in the cage for a limited time only.
julie

Post by julie »

maybe try some natural bug repellent plants. I know penny royal (mint family) is one.
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I used to have them until the local bird lady at the local pet store told me to stop using corn cob bedding on the bottom of the cage. I had just bought a big bag of it. Anyway, I stopped using it and haven't had a fruitfly since.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
Lags

Post by Lags »

we get them here in North Qld , but only for the wet season. Once all the mangoes on the graound here decompose, no moe fruit flies. Probably no help to you if you don't live in North Qld....
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Well I live in Holland and they have stopped now... must be to do with a certain weather or season.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Yep looks like a common problem2 weeks ago it happened in my aviary's and im in sydney it was wet and a little muggy! they multiplied at a rapid rate! i took the fruit out for 2 days and hosed the cages out both days and it has seemed to work for now!

They seem tocome when i put corn cobs in the cage. (all my IRN's favourite food)

Thanks Glenn