Composting?

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Composting?

Post by PythonzEve »

So, I found a 24" x 140' roll of recycled heavy paper that has no dies, chemicals or additives and is 100% recyclable and biodegradable for the bottom of the cage. I am wondering if bird poo is considered fine for composting into edible garden compost, or should it be put with my lawn/tree composting that I put my dog's stuff into?

On the paper is plenty of poo, feathers, shredded paper, cardboard and cotton bits, and uneaten pellet, fruit/veggie, seed and nut pieces. I know that manure from rabbit, goat, cow and whatnot are fine for garden composts, but I'm not sure of birds?

Thanks to anyone that has the answer!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

Miss Jojo

Re: Composting?

Post by Miss Jojo »

Chicken poo is a VERY popular fertilizer so I dont see it being an issue at all.
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Thank you so much Miss Jojo!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Melika

Post by Melika »

If it's anything like chicken manure, make sure it's fully composted before using on plants. Chicken manure is very strong and can 'burn' your plants if not fully composted. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Thanks Melika! This will likely compost over the winter until next spring, but I'm down in the south (Georgia) so it'll still be warm enough to break down :o)
Jessica