Is my IRN ok?

Moderator: Mods

Skyenet

Is my IRN ok?

Post by Skyenet »

Hi guys,

Ive recently notice that the bottom of the top beak and the top of the bottom beak is a black/yellowish colour. Is this right?

Also i have noticed that near the chest area of the bird, there is a red area of the skin (dont think its blood). Any ideas of that this could be?

He gets Fed well with parakeet mixture, dried fruit, Fresh fruit and veg.

I have pics of both issues:

Beak:
http://www.purav.co.uk/IRN/IRN4.JPG

Chest Area:

http://www.purav.co.uk/IRN/IRN5.JPG

http://www.purav.co.uk/IRN/IRN6.JPG

Skye is just over 4 month old.

Also do you reckon its a boy?
pinkdevil

Re: Is my IRN ok?

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi again. I asked you about the chest area on your introduction post.
Bit hard to see as the pics on my puter are fuzzy, but I think that the chest area could be an injury or maybe plucking. Leaning towards injury as I feel Skye would be a bit young at the moment to be starting to pluck, (although not impossible).
Did s/he have that when you first got her?
Did s/he have a crash landing anywhere that you are aware of? They are clumsy when first trying to learn to fly and have a few hard falls or fly into walls etc.

The beak colour looks fine to me.
Can't really tell of gender. Only way would be a DNA, surgical test or if parents colours are known, may be able to nest sex, (sexing from parents colouring).
loveindianringnecks

Post by loveindianringnecks »

do you have any other birds with skye .. more or less its either plucking or she has hurt herself from falling up from a high top or she has squeezed through somthing while getting herself stuck as irns have a habit of getting into things ...
Skyenet

Post by Skyenet »

hi guys,

He did have a small patch like in the pic before i bought him..

I have seen him groom himself often and he does most of the time fly into the window and doors to escape.

I have had him clipped last week so that i can fully tame him.

He is the only bird i have.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Is it possible to take a clearer photo of the area?

I am leaning towards an injury. Does he allow you to look at it properly, see if any open wounds, broken skin etc?
Sometimes they can fall quite heavily on their breast area and do a bit of damage.

If there is a wound present, it could be causing him discomfort and he may be picking at it. I would take him to a vet for a check up to make sure it is nothing serious like broken bones etc.
Infections and illness can take hold quickly and animals are the master at hiding any problems. Usually by the time symptoms are showing, they have been sick or injured for some time.

Hope the little fella will be ok. :)
Skyenet

Post by Skyenet »

Ill try and get a better pic.

I have stroked that area and he doesnt seem to be in much discomfort and doest scream or anything. It isnt an open wound, more like red bump.
Skyenet

Post by Skyenet »

Ok,

Took Skye to the Vet and she checked him out. sye has an open wound on his chest and a cut on the bend of his wing span.

He's currently on antibiotics and been told to put antibacteria cream on these areas for protection (both provided by the vet.

Hopefully he does not need stitches when he goes in for a check up on monday.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Poor Skye, glad you took him to the vet. Thought it was an injury.
Hope he will heal quickly.
Are the antibiotics administered in water?
If so did the vet suggest to hold off watery foods like fruit and veg for a while so he will drink more water?

Fingers crossed he wont need stitches.
Skyenet

Post by Skyenet »

I was given this injector tube thing and i use that to suck up a "droplet" of the antibiotic and Skye will i will "push" the liquid into Skyes mouth.

She didnt say anything with regards to food and water however she also said i could put the antibiotic onto say an apple and let him munch on it.