New Parent to IRN x 2 (4 weeks old)

Moderator: Mods

siyani

New Parent to IRN x 2 (4 weeks old)

Post by siyani »

I am a new parent to two IRN's of 4 weeks old. Have bought them home after purchasing from a breeder we know.

We have also purchased a large cage, and the breeder has provided some sand paper at the bottom of the tray. Currently finding babys are cudding up together in a corner, however the sand paper does not look to comfortable for the birds. Just want to know if this is acceptable or is their an alternative.

We are hand feeding them lentil puree and water by syringne, and vary this combination by introducing chick pea puree and baby food, on alternative days.

Feedback is really appreciated, like I said we are new parents and just want re-assurance that we doing things correctly.

Thanks
333greenbean333

Re: New Parent to IRN x 2 (4 weeks old)

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi, congratz on your new birds.
I feel at this age they still need to be warm. With my babies I a towel down then put like paper or somthing similar to that so they dont get stuck in the towel. I not to sure about sand paper. I think that would wear down there nails :? and be rough on there skin but not too sure.
:D David
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
siyani

Post by siyani »

Thanks, the towel and paper makes sense. What and how many times would you feed them. This may seem like a silly question, but will the bird stop once their full, or is this a measure.
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi, no problem.
when feeding it is really up to the birds digestive system. in indian ringnecks and most birds, there is a crop (big round circle under the neck). you feed it when the crop is nearly empty and you will know when it full as it looks like its about to burst.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is a thread on hand raising...

another link

and another link

Just click on the blue words to take you to the pages. :)