weaning an fledging

Moderator: Mods

delboy

weaning an fledging

Post by delboy »

my boys" reggie n ronnie" which im hopeing they are! have just started to fledge an are cruiseing round the room bumping in to all sorts of things. but want i would like help with is. i no they say they go off there food to fledge but by means of how much? cos they scream at me when they want feeding but dont realy eat much? i give em a little bit of fruity baby food wiv sunflower hearts blended in. an fresh fruit 3 maybe 4 times daily along wiv veg an millet which is alawys on offer wiv the parrot mix an an sunflower hearts mixed in wiv normal bird seed which they can get to all day but still they scream when hungary how long do they wean for there now coming up to the 10 week mark they also seem to have gone off the formula as well ? so any ideas would be greatly welcome thanks delboy :wink:
Elivia

Re: weaning an fledging

Post by Elivia »

Hi, i am no expert but thought i would give you my personal experience on this matter. My first ringneck i hand raised myself. i was going through a lot of ups and downs (more ups with thanks to this website!) I have never freaked out so much when Bluey stopped taking his formula! He was taking in less and less each day on all 3 daily feedings! Me and partner started stressing out big time as we had no experience whatsover and we could not get him to eat anything!!! I tried force feeding him which is a big mistake! I was given some good advise from the experienced people on this site. They advised to never force feed. i felt really bad after that :oops: They told me that my bird would start eating or taking in formula again when he was ready. They also said now was a good time to start introducing other foods other than formula. After about a week or so of still stressing and keeping a close eye on him he started taking an interest. We started eating in front of him too. Baby food was a favourite but in small quantities. I warmed it up and he seemed to like that. I then went onto mashed pumkin and mashed potatoe and that was good too. I found that softer tasting foods had a better result than tart tasting foods like baby apple puree. soaking some pellets is a good idea too to get him used to pellets. he was taking his formula every now and then but from a spoon instead that he would help himslef too. He eventually got the hang of feeding himself so we stated offering his food in a small container. The next thing we knew he was happily eating well and all by himself. I guess patience with these birds is a must with what i have learned from them. Now Bluey is the biggest pig ever and has to be kept in his cage at all meal times! :wink:
delboy

Re: weaning an fledging

Post by delboy »

thanks for the adivce theve started to eat a little more but like you said you panick thinking whats happening there not eating but ive seen a bit more nibbling going on in last thew days so fingers crossed appetites will be going up soon :D