Eating Too Much?

Moderator: Mods

effekt

Eating Too Much?

Post by effekt »

Hey there!

I finally got to bring my IRNs home! Originally I was only getting one, a slightly handicapped baby but the other handicap one needed a home too, so I took them both. They are doing very well!

One of them has a HUGE appetite though. She's the one who was reluctant to be weaned. I'm pretty sure she's also the youngest of the bunch, so it makes sense the other were over the formula sooner than her.

But she eats a lot. I got home from work today at 3:30 and she was munching on food pretty much non stop till 7pm. They were eating when I got home so I'm not sure when they started.

They can't over eat can they? She seems fine and their droppings are very healthy (I did some reading haha). They both eat mostly vegetables with a bit of fruit and some seeds. They definitely prefer vegetables and that makes up the majority of their diet, but they do eat their seeds as well.

Should I be worried that she was eating so much? She may have just been pecking around for a while.

Thanks for any input and sharing your experience!

Here's a pic of the cuties :)

zeke3

Re: Eating Too Much?

Post by zeke3 »

they are beautiful when you say handicap what exactly is wrong sorry if i've missed that in a previous thread
333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Your ringnecks look very pretty! But they dont look like a normal blue which is odd. One has a bright blue ringneck around its neck with patches of bright blue too.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

the appetite shouldnt be a thing to worry about!
most IRN's are little pigs, just make shore they dont get overweight

would like to know what handicapes thay have

P.S they are georgeous
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Wow those are a deep blue! Really nice. I knew you'd take both, when you asked if you should take them both or just one ;) They're really pretty birds.

His birds have a hip problem guys. They were born that way.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Thanks for all the replies! They really are a stunning blue. When they are in the sun it is quite breathtaking.

In the pictures, Archimedes is on the left and Kashi is on the right. Kashi is the first one I got, and so sweet and friendly. Archimedes is the brains of the pair, and slightly better with the climbing.

I'm thinking what happened was that when they were only a few days old, the parent birds sat on them wrong and bent their little bones, which is why they are a bit handicapped now. But they are adapting incredibly well.

One strange thing is that when they jump down from a higher spot, they always land on their backs. Maybe it helps them cushion the fall? They usually land on their feet and do sort of a roll onto their back, and then they flip over and go along their way. Kinda funny to see but it was alarming the first few times they did that.

Thanks for the input on Kashi's appetite. I'm guessing that because they're still only 3 months old they probably need to eat quite a bit to fuel their exercise and growing :mrgreen:
julie

Post by julie »

Trust me I have a couple that eat all the time :shock: the alexandrian Mika is the worst, im going to have to keep an eye on Mika cause he will eat everything and not stop till its all gone and he is getting to be a fatty. A good appetite in a baby is good though, better than a bad appetite. Is the one that eats more a bit more an active bird or does it just sit there and eat all day? My piggy ones are the ones that do more than the others.

Your babies are really good looking and look pretty healthy.
effekt

Post by effekt »

Thanks for the info! As a new "parent" I'm probably just freaking out over little things.

They are fairly active. Considering they are a bit handicapped, they probably spend more energy than a normal bird to get around, but they don't let that stop them and they climb everywhere.

They definitely have a routine.....they climb around and play for a while, then eat for about an hour and then they go back to the top of the cage and sleep for an hour or two. They probably take 2 or 3 naps during the day and they look really cute when they're sleeping :lol:

Kashi, the younger one eats a lot more than Archimedes. Even when they were still being hand fed, Kashi ate way more of the formula than any of the others. I think she just likes to eat a lot :mrgreen: