Can 2 IRNs Share a Cage?

Moderator: Mods

effekt

Can 2 IRNs Share a Cage?

Post by effekt »

Three weeks ago I got my IRN. Kashi is a "special needs" bird. Born with a bit of a hip problem, but she's learning every day to overcome it. Most days you wouldn't even notice she has a problem. She's about 10 weeks old now and slowly being weaned (she really really likes that formula), so I haven't brought her home yet.

There is another IRN with a bit more of a hip problem. Poor guy is also scared of people, probably because he's very clumsy at times and hands chasing him around is not fun. He can perch and step up when inclined, but he's pretty happy to be left alone.

I'm concerned if he will find a good home or not. So I've been thinking about taking him home as well.

My question: is it okay for 2 IRNs to be in the same cage? i've heard some say yes and some say no. i realize it also depends on each bird individually.

I suppose the big question is whether I could handle 2 special needs birds, but my first concern is whether they could be housed together. I don't really have room for another cage, so that's the deciding factor.

They do currently share a home (in a cage for baby birds) and they seem to get along. They kind of ignore each other most of the time, although I noticed my bird pick up the cuttlebone and hold it up for the other one to nibble on.

Any advice is much appreciated!
smallworld

Re: Can 2 IRNs Share a Cage?

Post by smallworld »

Wow what you're doing is really cool. A heart for handicapped birds. I guess if they get along fine now, it should be alright. However, you know personalities can change and then they might not get along too well, so there's a possible risk there. I think it also depends on the size of your cage. If its big enough for them to roam about without getting into each others way, might not be a problem. :)
effekt

Post by effekt »

I'm thinking separate cages would be best, especially because they'll be spending a lot of time at the bottom of the cage until they get better with climbing around. The cage is big but probably a little small for 2 birds to both be sitting on the bottom.

I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks for your response!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

No problem :) When its a tough call, go with your gut feeling. Probably end up being right ;)