Unusual diet advice needed

Moderator: Mods

Sash4

Unusual diet advice needed

Post by Sash4 »

I got my birds at five months old, they had little contact with humans, dietary wise i think it was basically apples and seeds,
Recently ive changed what they eat, MORE VEG and Fruit, and less seeds, over the last few days ive given them a selection of fresh fruit and veg in the morning and some seeds at night time,,,
By there reaction they adore their new diet (Fruit and Veg) more so than the seeds now, its almost as you can see them saying "oh wheres the fruit and veg"
I have no problem giving them fruit and veg as a main diet as they love it, but i feel they need something else in their diet, being relatively new to birds , without the years of knowledge of bird diets im a bit stuck,
What could i give them aswell as fruit and veg??
Seems weird asking this as ive read loads about birds being fussy and refusing veg etc, preferring seeds lol..

P.s they get occasional boiled egg, piece of wholemeal toast,,
pinkdevil

Re: Unusual diet advice needed

Post by pinkdevil »

I offer my birds a varied diet of seed, pellets, sprouted seed and fruit/veg.

They have access to seed 24/7, pellets most days then it varies between the last 3 choices.
Melika

Re: Unusual diet advice needed

Post by Melika »

I like to try seasonal foods. That way I feel that their diet is well-rounded. Instead of the same fruits/veggies over and over.

We give eggs pretty regularly through the molt, including the shell for scrambled and boiled eggs.

We make a mash using sweet potatoes which is especially treasured in the winter since we can serve it warm.

OH! BEANS! You can give beans! Beans and brown rice will form a complete protein. You think they love veggies?? You haven't seem them with beans! Soak the beans overnight, then rinse very well and cook. You can get bean mixes just for birds or many just use a bean mix from the grocery.

Sprouts, as noted. One of the most nutritious things you can give.

I really enjoy this site as an avian diet resource because eclectus parrots tend to not do well on seed/pellets and NEED veggies and fruits. Our birds will survive on pellets and seed... but will not thrive. I guess I figure what's great for an ekkie is excellent for my birds! http://www.landofvos.com/articles/mydiet.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay