some of my birds feathers on his face are off! help!!

Moderator: Mods

Lunax

some of my birds feathers on his face are off! help!!

Post by Lunax »

Hey guys! so i recently got a bird who's 1 year and a half young :) he is still getting used to me but is comfortable enough to preen when i'm nearby which is a good sign! but i noticed that when he preens, he also tends to scratch his beak and face. i got worried so i researched and i read that this is normal and this is what birds do to help preen their heads so i was ok. but soon after, i come home to find a loss in feathers on his face specifically under eye around (same level of nostrils) i was worried and i saw it was scabbing over although i saw no blood anywhere it was just a cut. i took a bit of my time looking at his face trying my best not to cause stress because again, he is not tamed and is still quite scared of me. and i saw that the loss of some feathers around the face was not only on one side!

Now i know this could be a skin disease or feather disease but i want to make sure before i go to the vet, just to clarify he is a healthy bird with no mucus anywhere near the eye, he isn't in any discomfort from what i see and his droppings look very healthy. no runny nose of any sort at all! he is healthy and well but his face his getting hit by his talons when he scratches (i had a vet drill down his nails to a good standard so that he wouldn't scratch himself further so far nothing.) i dont know how to stop it, i might take him to the vet but i just don't see a point if they can't do anything!

bird- Cedric ~~~~ Color- green slowly turns to blue (ambré)
Lunax

Re: some of my birds feathers on his face are off! help!!

Post by Lunax »

UPDATE ON MY BIRD---

my poor baby is having some bad symptoms recently! discoloration in the feathers and the scabs are growing... the loss of feathers is growing and in most areas there are patchiness in the feathers im really worried i hope he can make it through this! he is twitching his beak and wings a lot im very concerned i will be taking him to te vet first thing tomorrow seeing him like this is eating me up!
Pallas

Re: some of my birds feathers on his face are off! help!!

Post by Pallas »

Hi Lunax, I'm sorry you're having a bad start to being a new IRN mom. I hope the vet was able to provide some insight into your fid's condition. How is your baby now?