Lutino IRN with reddish tail

Moderator: Mods

Pallas

Lutino IRN with reddish tail

Post by Pallas »

Hi everyone,

I have found this forum to be extremely helpful while raising my IRN, so thank you so much for your advice! Now I have a question that I'm hoping someone knows the answer to.

I have a 13 month old lutino IRN, and have had him for 9 months (the breeder told me he is a male but I have not confirmed this through testing, so I'm going to refer to my baby as a male out of habit). When he first came home, I noticed that he had red coloring on some of his tail feathers. Even after his first molt, the new tail feathers grew in with the same red color. I added a recent pic below. The red isn't as pronounced in such a small photo, but if you compare it to the long tail feather in the middle with no red, you can tell the outer tail feathers have red on them:
IMG_1461.png
IMG_1461.png (72.56 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a sign of nutritional deficiency (if so, what particular nutrients)? Or is this common in lutino ringnecks? The vet didn't notice it at our last checkup and even if she did, I doubt she would know how to analyze it because ringnecks aren't common where I live. Maybe I am being an alarmist bird mom, but I want to make sure that there isn't a medical issue the vet and I are missing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
sanjays mummi

Re: Lutino IRN with reddish tail

Post by sanjays mummi »

I have a green IRN, but green is not correct, he has blue, yellow, aquamarine colours too, so I don't think any IRN is a uniform colour all over. :-bd
Pallas

Re: Lutino IRN with reddish tail

Post by Pallas »

Thank you, sanjays mummi, for your response! You make a very good point; I'm sure not all green IRNs have the same tail coloration as each other. I was concerned that the red may be stress bars, but his behaviors and vet tests don't seem to indicate that. :)