Molting. Is that normal?

Moderator: Mods

Inmetal

Molting. Is that normal?

Post by Inmetal »

Hello to everyone! I have 8 months old IRN . Before 3 months he lost his little feathers but the strong one on the wings and tail remains untouched. Is that normal and if it is when he will change his strong feathers because they a in very bad condition. I think that is his birth feathers . Thanks !
Molossus2

Re: Molting. Is that normal?

Post by Molossus2 »

sounds like an abnormal condition...pics pics pics
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The little white wisps are down feathers (like a thermal vest), my bird usually loses these first, in quantity!, the coloured feathers usually follow, but sometimes only a few are moulted, the tail feathers are last to be shed. Then I see little pin feathers growing on his head, new feathers have a sheath, which the bird removes with a combing action, like an umbrella cover, they lift off, revealing a lovely bright fresh feather from underneath.
I find a tepid spray with filtered water containing a few drops of glycerin and organic rosewater really helps, it soothes the skin, and prevents scaly foot, it also seems to aid the moult, loosening up old feathers. But the rosewater Must be organic, and not the stuff that's been coloured for cosmetic use, Make sure you offer foods rich in vitamin c, to aid the skin too.
Inmetal

Post by Inmetal »

Thank you for quick replay! I may overstate about his feathers. The bird looks pretty normal by the way only his wings and tail feathers looks dirty and damaged because he did not change them and i wander why. He changed everything but them. I did not write his age correctly too. He is 10 months old. In my country cold winter now so i wonder when he will start to molt again?

Here is my feathered friend now :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgqCJnJ ... e=youtu.be
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He is absolutely gorgeous! And healthy, it's cold in the UK too, but I have central heating.
My bird won't moult for a few months yet!, I send his coloured feathers to my little grandson, he likes to put them in his cap. :-bd
Scrumpy

Post by Scrumpy »

hoe often do they molt and at what stage do they lose there baby ones
Kiko2017

Post by Kiko2017 »

What you think about my IRN? I think its about time for molt but is it looking like that? Is it possible he does it to himself trying to stick head through cage bars?
Attachments
20170824_090109.jpg
20170824_090109.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
annarose

Post by annarose »

It look pretty normal, as for me
_________
resumewritingservice.info
JavierCoats

Post by JavierCoats »

I'd like to get more detailed information about how they change their strong feathers and why they are in a very bad condition.