Chews feathers on lower leg

Moderator: Mods

aus_Amanda

Chews feathers on lower leg

Post by aus_Amanda »

He was re-homed with a beautiful family :-)
Last edited by aus_Amanda on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babsi

Re: Chews feathers on lower leg

Post by Babsi »

Im new to hookbills, but seeing noone is here most of the time and I breed finches, I'd say its safe to assume he's in breeding mode and he digs you. So if he wants you as a mate and wants to please you, I would try refocusing his attention on some tricks. Like bird fetch, or bird bowling, or tasks that keep him physically busy to exert that mating physical energy into something other than humping your appendages. From what I have seen, ringneck males kiss and cuddle and do their best to make their mate happy. :x So instead of cuddling and touch, get him to throw a ball around with you in order to win your praise. He has chosen you as his mate and I would think he'd be happy to comply.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
aus_Amanda

Post by aus_Amanda »

Thank you so much for replying. Thank you for the info. and advice.
Last edited by aus_Amanda on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babsi

Post by Babsi »

I am new as well, and the forum is perfect, but seems a ghosttown. Damn shame, seeing all the great information here. I do however breed finches for a hobby and gouldian finches have very distinct personalities. They are very small birds with very small/quick social ques and I have to watch carefully to know what they need. Im appling those methods to my new IRN.

WhenI have a problem with over-stimulated finches I cut down the protein in their diet and move towards fruits and veggies to allow their mating organs to rest, I then take away anything in the cage that stimulates breeding behavior. Then I hide their foods which forces them into survival mode,instead of breeding to redirect their mating energy during the off season.

Redirection of energy to me is practical. So give your bird plenty of work for his treats and interaction and I would think it would take his mind off humping and the frustration.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I would include foraging too, Babsi, this used to be an extremely active forum, I don't know why it has gone so quiet, :|