Wing Feather Mutilation

Moderator: Mods

ob22rt

Wing Feather Mutilation

Post by ob22rt »

Hello, I am new to this forum and am exited to be apart of it!

I have a concern with my female IRN, Solo. I have searched for this problem to make sure I'm not asking the same question and cannot find my specific situation. Solo has recently (meaning within the last 2 months) began mutilating her wing feathers. She does not pluck them but shreds them. Some feathers become bent or broken in half. She will do this to one and then try and fix it and end up over preening. Because I am a new member I cannot yet post a picture but will when possible. She gets out of her cage daily and spends time with me, just not as long as I should. I was wondering if maybe getting toys that allow her to shred paper may help with this issue? All replies will be greatly appreciated!
MissK

Re: Wing Feather Mutilation

Post by MissK »

I am *SO* just thinking out loud here, but have you checked to see if there is any irritant in the feather area? I'm thinking a mite or a surface contaminant (sp??) might cause excessive attention to an area. Then the bird might mess with the feathers and then that messing might cause another irritant that perpetuates the situation. I'm thinking along the lines of when I have an itch for whatever reason, and I over scratch myself, and then I have that skin abrasion to deal with, etc...... It just keeps going.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

A complete health check from a qualified avian vet is the place to start. They can help you go over the diet if there is no medical reason diagnosed. If they are like my vet, they will also go into cage details, amount of foraging and enrichment, environmental factors etc.
ob22rt

Post by ob22rt »

Okay! Thank you guys for your thoughts. She is due for a checkup so that's what I'll do. :)