Why has my male IRN plucked feathers from my female?

Moderator: Mods

Kimmi.Richo

Why has my male IRN plucked feathers from my female?

Post by Kimmi.Richo »

FIRSTLY, hi I'm new to this site :)
First time IRN owner :)
I have an issue that I can't seem to google a solution for.

My male has been plucking feathers from my females head and collar area. The bare patch under her eye and beside her beak is about the size of a 5c piece (2cm dia) She isn't aggressive nor is he but he does it and I don't understand why.

I asked the man I bought them from and he said he is randy and she is not interested. And that the feathers will grow back. Is this the case?
I just need someone to confirm what he told me!
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Why has my male IRN plucked feathers from my female?

Post by ringneck »

Hello Kimmi.Richo,

All ringnecks have a breeding cycle that is usually during spring. In my area, the birds begin to breed around March. That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with the female not being interested. Most female ringnecks can be quite aggressive when not breeding. In fact, many breeders will separate the males and females until breeding is near.

I would remove the male until breeding season has come around. This way the female will not have the ability to remove his feathers--hopefully reducing this habit!

Just be sure the cages are side by side. Once the male is in his separate cage he'll be able to regrow his feathers again.

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Tanua

Re: Why has my male IRN plucked feathers from my female?

Post by Tanua »

This is not what the person asked SHE is the one with plucked feathers. I am having the same problem. The female has the plucked feathers. Do the males pluck the female who is docile during Breeding season?